dosage for dimetridazole?

I am so inspired when I read about your efforts to save him. You clearly love him dearly. Don't become discouraged. Sometimes the flame flickers before it extinguishes, and sometimes the flame flickers before the fire roars into a huge blaze. If he's not suffering terribly, then as long as there's life -- there's hope

With prolonged tube feeding, sometimes the lack of fiber can be a problem. The gut needs fiber to slow things down and digest properly. Also, sometimes animals will eat their natural food before they will eat the commercial food that we make for them. Have you tried feeding him grass? Depending on where you live there may not be any in your yard this time of year, and old grass may not taste good or have much nutritional value, but you can buy sprouted organic wheatgrass in most health food stores, and most large markets with organic produce. People add it to their smoothies. If he won't graze it directly, you can puree it very finely, strain it with a cheesecloth, or several layers of gauze, so that it will go through the tube feeding eyelets, and give it to him with your tube feeding formula. That type of fiber can sometimes help the digestive process. Other things that might help would be sweet potatoes or pumpkin or winter squash. If he won't take those in small chunks (cooked), then you can add some canned pumpkin (not the pre-made pumpkin pie filling, but the pure canned pumpkin) to his tube feeding mix. It's pre-strained, so no worries about it plugging up the tube. About 1 tbsp twice daily should be enough for the canned pumpkin, or more if he will eat the chunks. But any kind of new grass would be my preference. My free range girls spend much of their day grazing. Large amounts of grass in the diet is how their gut is set up to function. The tube feeding formula is great for calories and water, but there's just not enough fiber in it for long term use.

Does he like bananas? Most chickens do, and most turkeys don't. But bananas puree easily, and too many can cause constipation in people. A little bit pureed into his tube feeding formula might help slow things down a bit. Maybe a teaspoon or two twice daily -- you don't want to add too much sugar to his diet, which could feed any yeast that might show up.

Oh, I almost forgot about the Oxbow company. They cater mostly to small herbivore pets like rabbits, guinea pigs, tortoises, etc, but they do make a critical care formula that is based on timothy hay meal. That might/should have enough fiber in it to help stabilize his gut motility. It's meant to be syringe fed, so it mixes up into a slurry. I don't know if it can be tube fed or not, but you should be able to if you run it through a spice grinder for a while to powderize it, then strain it carefully. Your vet will need to be sure that there's not an unfavorable vitamin/mineral mixture in it that would be unfriendly to a compromised liver. Your vet will have to order it, or prescribe it for direct purchase. http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=1608

I just saw this product the other day: https://smile.amazon.com/Wild-Baker...qid=1486680629&sr=8-3&keywords=cricket+flower It's something from their natural diet that could be added to the tube feeding formula. You do have to be careful about protein levels and protein sources in pets with liver disease, so ask your vet if this is ok. I would think that if you added this AND the grass, the high protein of the crickets would balance out the low protein of the grass, so probably a win:win. If you vet doesn't know, she can probably call one of the big prescription diet manufactures, like Hill's Prescription Diet, ask to speak to one of their consulting vets about L/D (their prescription liver diet for dogs), pick their brain about the characteristics of L/D, then ask them to help her decide if crickets plus grass added to tube feeding formula is a plus or a minus. They get so many routine questions, I'm sure that one of the veterinary consultants would enjoy something a little different and challenging.

Will he eat mealworms, or any of the other live wigglies that you could get at a reptile supply retailer (if you live near a large city with a store available)? Even dried meal worms might help a bit with fiber, although not nearly as interesting or tasty, according to my ancient old rooster.

Also, Lafeber is a company that makes tube feeding formulas for many different exotic animals, and has wonderful nutritionists on staff. Their formulas are expensive compared to Kaytee, so they aren't always practical to use for large birds like turkeys, especially if lots of birds are affected during an outbreak. But their nutritionists might be willing to talk to your vet about tube feeding formulas that might be beneficial for birds with liver and cecal disease, ingredients that you can add to help the digestive process, that type of thing. Lafeber started out as an avian nutrition company before it branched out into other species, so they really do have a lot of expertise. If cost is not a concern, then one of their tube feeding formulas may have a slight advantage over the Kaytee formula, or possibly not. You or your vet would need to compare the options.
https://lafeber.com/
https://lafeber.com/vet/

Also, there is a prescription diet for birds with liver disease, made by the Roudybush company. Your veterinarian would need to order it, or possibly prescribe it for direct purchase from the company if they have it set up that way. It is intended for parrots, macaws, etc, but may work well for a turkey with Blackhead on a short or long term basis. I had a pet chicken with kidney disease years ago, and fed her their kidney prescription diet plus specific table foods. She lived 6 years longer than expected!! Your vet, or possibly you, can probably call and talk to Tom Roudybush, the owner of the company, about your tom's specific nutritional needs. If I remember correctly, Tom Roudybush started out in poultry nutrition before starting his company, so he has tremendous expertise in these types of issues. It's been 20 years since I talked to him about Sydney (pet broiler chicken with heart failure and kidney disease), but he was a really nice guy when I had a million questions. http://www.roudybush.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=orders.group&group=careline

I'm really hoping things turn around for you. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
--April

hmmm. I saw the oxbow critical care formula on the shelf at my vet's office the other week and asked her about it and she said no, not for birds. No way is he going to be alive long enough for any mail-order items to get here. I am just going to PM you. or DM you, or whatever the appropriate term is.

hmmm. I saw the oxbow critical care formula on the shelf at my vet's office the other week and asked her about it and she said no, not for birds. No way is he going to be alive long enough for any mail-order items to get here. I am just going to PM you. or DM you, or whatever the appropriate term is.
As a single diet I would agree, it's not appropriate for turkeys. But as a portion of the total diet, the portion that adds in grass (tube feeding version) it could be beneficial.

I totally was about to do that, literally. I have pellets in a little container in the kitchen to feed to my obese meat bird, who's in the kitchen for bumblefoot soakings. I do think it breaks down so quickly in warm water into such small particles that it might pass through a feeding tube. I will totally try after i finish reading this article on toxicity of dimetridazole.

Would grass hay pellets soaked in water work?
Possibly. It depends on their quality. Lots of the grass hay pellets are too high in ground up stems, and are meant to be fed to chewing animals with either a rumen digestive design (horse and rabbits), or ruminants that have extensive enzymatic digestion and chew their cuds (sheep, goats, cattle, etc). With poultry that don't chew, and have minimal digestive enzymes between the crop and gizzard, the firm stems in some of the pellets can cause obstructions. Many of those need to be fermented to be fed safely to poultry, which softens and partially digests the stemy material. On the other hand, the quality pellets that are made of soft grass without excess stems would work well when soaked. They would have to be powderized, and then mixed with water, to be put through a feeding tube.

I totally was about to do that, literally. I have pellets in a little container in the kitchen to feed to my obese meat bird, who's in the kitchen for bumblefoot soakings. I do think it breaks down so quickly in warm water into such small particles that it might pass through a feeding tube. I will totally try after i finish reading this article on toxicity of dimetridazole.
Strain it with cheesecloth or gauze before tube feeding. That will get out any large bits that won't go through the eyelets of the tube.

The pellets I was thinking about, because I have them, are LMF Low Carb Complete, and soaked, they will probably pass through an 18 french tube.

Back
Top Bottom