Dosage for Duramycin/Tetracycline??

Hope this helps for the rest of us non math genius' it says on the side doses for 400 mg dose half a tablespoon 800 mg dose of full tablespoon per gallon. This is per the manufacturer so I think they have it right

Nope, they are wrong, trust me. The 800 mg dose is 1.5 tablespoons, not 1 tablespoon. Just because a mfg says it should be something doesn't mean it's correct.

Look at their other errors. Since when does 1/2 tablespoon = 1 ounce?

Quote: The math is easy...
Each package has 10 grams (10,000 mg)
10,000 mg / 800 mg = 12.5 gallons medicated at 800 mg - This matches what http://www.drugs.com/vet/duramycin-10.html says.

Buy a package of it and see for yourself. Measure out the number of tablespoons. If there are 12.5 tablespoons, then the mfg is correct, but I think you will find that there are 18-20 tablespoons, which means the 800 mg dose is no less than 1.5 tablespoons.

Even better, weigh a tablespoon. How much you wanna bet that one tablespoon will weigh ~10 grams?
Package weight = 181 grams
181 / 10 = 18 tablespoons

Don't feel bad, I used to post the same misinformation.
hugs.gif

One tablespoon of most powders used in poultry is gonna weigh 9-10 grams.

If you still don't believe me, find someone you know that's knows a little about math and ask them.

-Kathy

To Joe Bryant.....that measurement that the pharmacist gave you is assuming that the chickens drink all 2 gallons of the mixture, which they wont....I think we all need to talk to a vet.

To Joe Bryant.....that measurement that the pharmacist gave you is assuming that the chickens drink all 2 gallons of the mixture, which they wont....I think we all need to talk to a vet.

Welcome to BYC!

I think we all need to get a scale and do a little math. :D

-Kathy

I bought the fish antibiotic API TC tetracycline. 500mg/packet
Tetracycline grams/teaspoon rather. That would be helpful.

Also, is the 800mg/gal dosage safe for juvenile pullets and bantams? I only have 1 full size hen right now, 3 pullets whom were born oct 1,16 and a bantam rooster.e

Last edited:
The quart dose would be 200 mg, yes?
If one pack has 500 mg tetracyline, then I think the amount to use is 0.4 packs per quart?

Could someone just as simply as possible tell me a person who can hardley count to two tell me in 1qt.how much do you use. Please after reading all these post I am about in tears i am so confused

Last edited:
I have one sick 2 week old chick. I mixed up a gallon of the tetracycline. I gave it to all 7 of my baby chicks by just putting it as their water source. How many days should I do this? Does it keep or do I need to make a new mix everyday?

Back
Top Bottom