Drained a Hen's Abdomen.. Rest in Peace, Olivia 11-5-10

Pics
I do not fault you for trying. And this being your first time to deal with it (hopefully, the last, but probably not), it will teach you a lot. Lord knows, I did this so many times with sweet Olivia. She was a huge learning experience, both she and Ivy. What I did learn was that though you see the fluid in the abdomen, you don't see as it advances that fluid collects in other places like heart and lungs as well. It's a complete organ failure, really.

One thing that may help, though it won't cure it, is to give one round of penicillin injections. It seems to sometimes help the fluid dissipate to a degree, at least before the condition is far advanced. For this, do 3/4-1 cc injected in the breast muscle, alternating sides, for up to 4 days. I usually do one round and that is it.

With last hen, it didn't help her much. I prepared for her to die (splash Rock from a breeder). She stayed bloated for months. Then one day, I picked her up to check and no fluid, but she'd lost a LOT of weight and was molting. I thought it was the end for her. Nope, she started to gain her weight back and actually started laying again! That is VERY rare. But it was short-lived. I just pulled a crushed shell from her the other day-she prolapsed trying to push it out. And she's bloating again. I won't give her penicillin. She is 5 years old.

Best of luck to you. Let us know how it turns out for your hen.

Where can I get penicillin w/o a Rx? I have a Tractor supply around but that's about it. Is there another antibiotic if not penicillin? Would an anti inflammatory help? Calm everything down?

I don't think I've gotten but 2 to 3 eggs from her in the year she's lived here. I checked on her since I drained her this morning and she's walking better. She never stopped eating or drinking. The not going to roost is was clued me in to her problem. I carry her like a football. Hand on her belly between her legs. She seems more comfortable that way. She is heavier then the others for sure but I feel like I caught it fairly early. I have been monitoring her breathing. I can't imagine suffocating to death. I won't let that happen.

If she fills up again quick I won't keep up draining. Is there an injection I can give her to put her to sleep when the time comes? I don't think I can go with traditional culling methods.

Thanks Again for your answers. I've felt so lost.

Penicillin is not a rX drug. You should be able to buy 100 ml bottles (smallest available) at TSC. You can also buy it online at places like Jeffers or Valley Vet. Around $15.

Last edited:
Where can I get penicillin w/o a Rx? I have a Tractor supply around but that's about it. Is there another antibiotic if not penicillin? Would an anti inflammatory help? Calm everything down?

I don't think I've gotten but 2 to 3 eggs from her in the year she's lived here. I checked on her since I drained her this morning and she's walking better. She never stopped eating or drinking. The not going to roost is was clued me in to her problem. I carry her like a football. Hand on her belly between her legs. She seems more comfortable that way. She is heavier then the others for sure but I feel like I caught it fairly early. I have been monitoring her breathing. I can't imagine suffocating to death. I won't let that happen.

If she fills up again quick I won't keep up draining. Is there an injection I can give her to put her to sleep when the time comes? I don't think I can go with traditional culling methods.

Thanks Again for your answers. I've felt so lost.

No Rx needed for penicillin.

No, the public cannot get an injectible drug for euthanasia. It's strictly controlled. So, we have to use traditional methods, go to a vet (most use the barbaric heart stick method, not anesthetic overdose) or let nature take its course.
Penicillin is not a rX drug. You should be able to buy 100 ml bottles (smallest available) at TSC. You can also buy it online at places like Jeffers or Valley Vet. Around $15.
Yup, almost every feed store will have it in the refrigerator section. And the needles, too. Use a 22 gauge, maybe a 20 but nothing larger (the numbers go smaller as the needle size goes larger).

Last edited:
Yesterday I drained a hen for a friend of mine and drained off about 1/3 of a gallon, and after doing so I was able to palpate objects in her abdominal cavity. I explained to him that it's not a cure, which he understood, and he agreed to let me necropsy her when he culls her.

-Kathy

Yesterday I drained a hen for a friend of mine and drained off about 1/3 of a gallon, and after doing so I was able to palpate objects in her abdominal cavity. I explained to him that it's not a cure, which he understood, and he agreed to let me necropsy her when he culls her.

-Kathy

Poor hen, sounds like my poor Hope near the end of her life. Let us know what you find in there when she passes on, Kathy. Would be interested. I don't see this much anymore since all my hatchery hens and most of their progeny died off.

No Rx needed for penicillin.

No, the public cannot get an injectible drug for euthanasia. It's strictly controlled. So, we have to use traditional methods, go to a vet (most use the barbaric heart stick method, not anesthetic overdose) or let nature take its course.
Yup, almost every feed store will have it in the refrigerator section. And the needles, too. Use a 22 gauge, maybe a 20 but nothing larger (the numbers go smaller as the needle size goes larger).

I didn't figure I could get the "good stuff" but if there was hoping there something I could give her. Luckily a friend said they would the deed for me.

So I drained her belly one last time. I feel bad I've done it repeatedly but I'm unfortunately learning as I go. I also picked up some penicillin for her. Now I'm going to wait. She'll get the penicillin but no more draining. My plan is to see how fast she refills. If she can live comfortably for a while longer I feel it's worth it. I'm sure there are people out there who think I'm crazy. That's ok. This is my first chicken illness and what will be loss. It's not in me not to try. I know when to give in to the inevitable but I don't think she's there yet.

So I drained her belly one last time. I feel bad I've done it repeatedly but I'm unfortunately learning as I go. I also picked up some penicillin for her. Now I'm going to wait. She'll get the penicillin but no more draining. My plan is to see how fast she refills. If she can live comfortably for a while longer I feel it's worth it. I'm sure there are people out there who think I'm crazy. That's ok. This is my first chicken illness and what will be loss. It's not in me not to try. I know when to give in to the inevitable but I don't think she's there yet.
I think you're doing the right thing even though she's not long for this world, because treating her will be a good learning experience, and if you can bring yourself to do a necropsy on her when she passes, you'll learn even more, like if the fluids build up is from cancer or EYP. It's it's from just heart and/or liver failure, that's a little harder to see, but cancer and EYP are glaringly obvious.

hugs.gif
to you and her, and I hope the rest of her days are enjoyable for you both.

-Kathy

I think you're doing the right thing even though she's not long for this world, because treating her will be a good learning experience, and if you can bring yourself to do a necropsy on her when she passes, you'll learn even more, like if the fluids build up is from cancer or EYP. It's it's from just heart and/or liver failure, that's a little harder to see, but cancer and EYP are glaringly obvious.

:hugs to you and her, and I hope the rest of her days are enjoyable for you both.

-Kathy

I didn't ever get a ton a fluid from her. Maybe 1 to 1 1/4 cups total in all my attempts. So I think I caught it fairly early. When people described cantaloupe sized bellies dragging on the ground I was shocked. I didn't think they could get that big. Don't think I'll be able to do a necropsy. It doesn't really matter if it was cancer instead of EYP. I'd have treated her the same. Maybe in the years to come when I lose another. I know I will but hopefully not for quite a while.

Back
Top Bottom