Drained a Hen's Abdomen.. Rest in Peace, Olivia 11-5-10

Pics
Cyn, in your experience do you think this problem is most likely to manifest itself within the first couple of years of life or can it occur at any time? I have 8 hens that are 2 1/2 years old and I do have one that has classic internal layer symptoms that started about 6 months ago. I'm wondering what the likelyhood is for more to develope the same problem, or if it's unlikley once they are a bit older and doing well.

The only thing I can tell you is that most of the time, they are at risk just past two years of age, but they can start earlier, in the case of my GLW who was purchased when my flock was a few years old (she died at 1 1/2), or later. My first loss was a SLW just past her second birthday, then they started going one by one. Most died between two and three years of age.

Quote:
We've lost 2 hens so far (I've only been at this for a few years) and I am almost 100% certain the one we just lost became an internal layer. She was 1 1/2 yrs old and she was ill or showed symptoms for about 2-3 months before she died.

Last edited:
Quote:
seems that the vet who I ended up paying $400 in all, believed that the fatty liver disease was at least manageable. or maybe it was my wallet that was manageable.
barnie.gif
But I definately could feel the lump of his liver between his legs sorta - though it was easier to spot after he had fluid drained.

Wow, it's been over a year since Olivia passed on. She was so special. I'll never forget her soft brown eyes, the way she'd look up at me when she was sitting on my lap like she just adored me. She had such expression in her eyes. I sure miss her and her two look-alike sisters.

Quote:
so so sorry to hear that I know it's not fun loosing a chicken or going through what you have been
hit.gif
. what kind of chickens are they? I have chickens and have been trying to figure out waht breeds they are and one of mine is just like it

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom