Dreaming of buying a "homestead"

we could not buy a water meter at our first place, the water was there but they would not let us hook up. Have the seller either buy a meter or somehow put water in the contract.

we could not buy a water meter at our first place, the water was there but they would not let us hook up. Have the seller either buy a meter or somehow put water in the contract.
If we go that route I would definately make sure utilities are in place! I just got done doing a rough cost estimate for a 1300 sq ft build and I'm under $80,000 including the land so far which includes septic, foundation, electrical, plumbing, shell house, interior walls, kitchen, bathroom, and flooring costs. I tried to estimate higher although I'm sure unexpected costs will come up and I didn't include any permit costs..

The land we are looking at does have a lot of trees though, so we may be able to save recoup money by selling timber =)

Either way, I'm just looking at our options now. It is likely my husband will get a job in this area =)

Our current house costed more than that and its on 1/3 acre and needed remodeling and more work! Once/If Hubby gets the job I'll be calling around to get estimates to make sure I have an accurate budget, and we will have to list our current house and sell it! I'm just anxious to move to the country!

If we go that route I would definately make sure utilities are in place! I just got done doing a rough cost estimate for a 1300 sq ft build and I'm under $80,000 including the land so far which includes septic, foundation, electrical, plumbing, shell house, interior walls, kitchen, bathroom, and flooring costs. I tried to estimate higher although I'm sure unexpected costs will come up and I didn't include any permit costs..
im my area you can get a almost finished cabin, mostly off grid with plenty of land and all utilities for a lot less than , I was just looking at 25 acreas for $50K that had two tiny houses, septic water and electricity on site...even more excited about this 40 acres for 45k i just found

Last edited:
yI dont know if you ever look at the site but i found my property on www.landsofamerica.com , well actually i used landsofmissouri.com, but it's the same thing just national. I am looking for more property so I am always on there, we want something on the creek , a little getaway. 1/2 an acre or so that we can just relax at

im my area you can get a almost finished cabin, mostly off grid with plenty of land and all utilities for a lot less than , I was just looking at 25 acreas for $50K that had two tiny houses, septic water and electricity on site...even more excited about this 40 acres for 45k i just found
Lucky! Not where we are looking at. The 20 acres I'm looking at is only $20,000 though, so its a steal. The only house I have found is on 16 acres for $58,000 but its a total gut job which makes me prefer building my own, because even gutting it there are some things that aren't changeable.

Do you live in a area with many jobs? If there are few jobs it drives property prices down.

yI dont know if you ever look at the site but i found my property on www.landsofamerica.com , well actually i used landsofmissouri.com, but it's the same thing just national. I am looking for more property so I am always on there, we want something on the creek , a little getaway. 1/2 an acre or so that we can just relax at
I haven't used that site, but it didn't bring up anything in the area we are looking at. I do see what you mean though. I found 4 nice houses on over 12 acres (one was 25) for under 75k!

plenty of jobs if you want to drive for 30 minutes,it is 30/40 minutes to the northwest arkansas metro area you know wal-mart home offices and all that jazz, 30 minutes from everywhere it seems. no stores close at all, nothing. it's how I like it so its a big plus. I only work for myself

I am seriously considering buying a small house in one of the local towns to fix up just for fun, probably never live in it , just save it. maybe give it to my sister

plenty of jobs if you want to drive for 30 minutes,it is 30/40 minutes to the northwest arkansas metro area you know wal-mart home offices and all that jazz, 30 minutes from everywhere it seems. no stores close at all, nothing. it's how I like it so its a big plus. I only work for myself

I am seriously considering buying a small house in one of the local towns to fix up just for fun, probably never live in it , just save it. maybe give it to my sister
Most jobs are 30 minutes from my current house and I don't even live out in the country. Where we are looking now would be a commute to where my husband will hopefully be getting a job in the future!

Back
Top Bottom