Dreaming of buying a "homestead"

the panoramic is from a month ago or so, the second is from the summer, shes going to send me some of the interior eventually.....

It is always fun to dream and scheme. and then reality strikes.
I wish you luck on your dreams for the future.
I'm hoping we can make this a reality. There is supposed to be a job there opening up for him, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

the panoramic is from a month ago or so, the second is from the summer, shes going to send me some of the interior eventually.....
Good job! Is it just you and her building it? Have you been doing projects like this your whole life? Do you know how much you have invested to date? How will you shower etc here? Are you doing solar panels for electricity?

Sorry I'm asking a lot of questions but I think it is really interesting!

the neighbor showed me how to build the shell, other than that is has only been me and her. I have never built anything, we spent 13,500 on the 15 acres, its completely paid off, and we have spent about 10k on building, that includes drywall, doors, windows, hardwood floors , insulation, and paying the neighbor for a week of work, also generator rental and rental for a big auger to dig the foundation. We have everything we need to finish it we just need the time, life keeps getting in the way. We are building a separate bathroom building eventually big enough for a wood stove, composting toilet and a shower, we will probably have a gravity fed shower or just take bathes, we got a free cast iron tub. we will have a cistern to collect water and also collect all the rain we can. We also have a small running stream. We have access to power if we really wanted it, we will be getting solar panels only to pawer an a/c, we will probably have a propane refrigerator , we have a wood-stove already for the house, I would like a combo gas/wood stove for the kitchen building.

the neighbor showed me how to build the shell, other than that is has only been me and her. I have never built anything, we spent 13,500 on the 15 acres, its completely paid off, and we have spent about 10k on building, that includes drywall, doors, windows, hardwood floors , insulation, and paying the neighbor for a week of work, also generator rental and rental for a big auger to dig the foundation. We have everything we need to finish it we just need the time, life keeps getting in the way. We are building a separate bathroom building eventually big enough for a wood stove, composting toilet and a shower, we will probably have a gravity fed shower or just take bathes, we got a free cast iron tub. we will have a cistern to collect water and also collect all the rain we can. We also have a small running stream. We have access to power if we really wanted it, we will be getting solar panels only to pawer an a/c, we will probably have a propane refrigerator , we have a wood-stove already for the house, I would like a combo gas/wood stove for the kitchen building.
That is AWESOME! With that acreage you can be self sufficient... get out of that rat race, especially if you have no mortgage or utilities!

Still waiting on those photos =)
not the best photos and you can see we still have a long way, here are two.
I am going to put my wood-stove in that corner with the cement board. use the area behind that wall for storage and a dining area in that corner. the view is from were i guess is our ' living room"

this one is from behind that cement board towards the "living room" with an ok view of the loft main loft

a lor more work of course

It looks good... It isn't too much work left! You two have accomplished a lot!

thank you , it's fun, I figure we should just go slow and enjoy the process, just have fun.

today we worked outside built a retaining wall , picked up rocks and raked.

thank you , it's fun, I figure we should just go slow and enjoy the process, just have fun.

today we worked outside built a retaining wall , picked up rocks and raked.
I'm looking at the costs of building a place on land I found in our destination range cheap. $1,000 an acre, not landlocked, and with utilities avaliable (other than septic/plumbing, would have to check if that meant on site or how much to run it to the house).

Back
Top Bottom