Harvest hesitancy

Don't be too hard on yourself about it.
I have to admit I have a very bad habit about doing that. I know no one can be fantastic at everything & I give others all kinds of latitude & understanding for their failures or inadequacies but am quite unforgiving of myself in similar circumstances. Who knew raising chickens would be my Sigmund Freud moment to learn to forgive myself! Lol

To be honest, I feel like such a wuss. My grandmother did it. It was a way of life when she was growing up & started a household of her own. If she could be strong enough to do it, why can't I? It just makes me feel so weak when I'm so strong & resilient in other areas. I wonder, sometimes, if Grandma would be disappointed in that weakness.
All my life, my Dad refused to eat chicken. That befuddled me. Then, when I got chickens, he told me the story of how chicken harvesting was his most hated job on the farm, as a boy. And it was always his job. Then I understood. And to think - my poor dad fought in the Korean War. Something he never talked about.

Some people just can't. But, with these uncertain times - you might just surprise yourself. Survival makes us stronger than we knew we could be. In the meantime ~ ask at your local feed store if they have any processor contacts they can recommend. Maybe you could pay or possibly barter (a portion of the meat?), someone else to do this for you

Just try to remember that they are getting a better life being cared for by you no matter what happens. Especially roosters that usually have no where else to go.

Some people are more sensitive to the feelings of other beings. They are called empaths. It isn't a bad thing, it is a virtue in many areas. That doesn't mean that you can't kill a chicken, (probably the time will come when you must for its well being) it just means that it is a tiny bit easier for others.

Not one person I have encountered enjoys it, but a few have done it enough that they don't mind it and accept it as part of life, just like your Grandmother.

The first time you do it will be extra hard, but the next times will be easier. I have found that it is heavy every time. I just allow myself to feel the sadness whenever it comes up, and keep going.

I assure you, by the time they flap around they are already gone. You will be able to tell because of how connected you are to them. It is just their bodies reacting, and that is how you know they aren't suffering anymore.

You could look up the broomstick method. It is a form of cervical dislocation that kills the chicken instantly, but is simple and has no blood involved. There are other CD methods, but that one is good for beginners. Videos are graphic, but maybe just look up a thread about it on here first.

You could look up the broomstick method. It is a form of cervical dislocation that kills the chicken instantly, but is simple and has no blood involved. There are other CD methods, but that one is good for beginners. Videos are graphic, but maybe just look up a thread about it on here first.
I've seen YouTube videos on the broomstick method & that one is definitely NOT for me. I just see way too many opportunities for a botched kill that causes suffering doing it that way. I'm sure in the right hands, it's a perfectly acceptable & humane way but, IMO, it's not a method suitable for a hesitant newbie.

Two things that helped me was raising a batch of meat birds and having a separate coop of eggers. We have 15 named egger hens that will be living out their natural lives with us (unless we rehome them). Those are the birds we're allowed to be attached to - it provides a safe outlet for my desire for connection with my chickens, and we can talk to each other about what each chicken did, and share funny stories, etc. Whether their lives are short (sex-link production hens) or long, those chickens will live them. Even if I cull at the end of their life due to a health issue, that chicken lived out its life, and I helped prevent suffering at the end.

The meat birds all looked the same, and were easier to see as a group instead of as individuals. I did my best to keep them healthy and exercised, but towards processing day, it became obvious that they were pretty much done. Their bodies were awkward, they had trouble walking much, couldn't maneuver well, etc. One got stuck on its back and I had to flip it over. Glad I caught it cause otherwise it might have died from stress. Ones legs stopped working - it literally couldn't stand up to move around or eat. One had a heart attack around 2 weeks and another at 4 weeks - just fell over dead. One had prolapse and died (not sure why - internal issues). They were just not bred for longevity and once they reached processing size/age didn't have much quality of life left, in my opinion. They wouldn't have had a life at all if I hadn't bought them, I did my best to give them a good life while they were with me, and I made their ending quick.

A kill cone and some tree limb loppers or a pipe cutter might be a good choice for you. I've seen some setups where a garbage bag is wrapped up above the bottom of the kill cone to contain any mess, so there's little issue with blood - this worked well for me. The kill cone keeps them restrained, and you can walk away until everything is done. I like to wrap my birds tightly in a towel first.

And by all means, if you think it will help, have a conversation with them first. I thanked all of mine for their lives and sacrifice, told them they were going to heaven to be with their flock, and that one day they'd be resurrected. Also I prayed for them. I'm sure there are folks who may think these things are silly or done just to assuage guilt, but I don't feel guilty, so much as sad that their deaths were necessary for my family to eat.

Now that I've processed meat birds, I think processing my extra dual purpose roosters will be easier. And then we may move on to the spent hens that we will not be naming. We shall see.

I've seen YouTube videos on the broomstick method & that one is definitely NOT for me. I just see way too many opportunities for a botched kill that causes suffering doing it that way. I'm sure in the right hands, it's a perfectly acceptable & humane way but, IMO, it's not a method suitable for a hesitant newbie.
It all depends on what your triggers are. If you are fine with blood you can try those other methods. There isn't an easy way, but most people find the broomstick method to be more simple and fool-proof. You'll have to find what works for you, I suppose.

Actually, that worked well for me as a newbie for 5-6 week cornish cross. Wasn't the method I was planning to use, but when the day came, that's what felt like the best option. I wrapped them in a towel, held them in my lap and talked to them, and then quickly dislocated heads from necks. No mess, quick end.

Had to use a different method once they were older than about 6 weeks as I wasn't strong enough to use that method on the older birds.

I was thinking about ra
Two things that helped me was raising a batch of meat birds and having a separate coop of eggers. We have 15 named egger hens that will be living out their natural lives with us (unless we rehome them). Those are the birds we're allowed to be attached to - it provides a safe outlet for my desire for connection with my chickens, and we can talk to each other about what each chicken did, and share funny stories, etc. Whether their lives are short (sex-link production hens) or long, those chickens will live them. Even if I cull at the end of their life due to a health issue, that chicken lived out its life, and I helped prevent suffering at the end.

The meat birds all looked the same, and were easier to see as a group instead of as individuals. I did my best to keep them healthy and exercised, but towards processing day, it became obvious that they were pretty much done. Their bodies were awkward, they had trouble walking much, couldn't maneuver well, etc. One got stuck on its back and I had to flip it over. Glad I caught it cause otherwise it might have died from stress. Ones legs stopped working - it literally couldn't stand up to move around or eat. One had a heart attack around 2 weeks and another at 4 weeks - just fell over dead. One had prolapse and died (not sure why - internal issues). They were just not bred for longevity and once they reached processing size/age didn't have much quality of life left, in my opinion. They wouldn't have had a life at all if I hadn't bought them, I did my best to give them a good life while they were with me, and I made their ending quick.

A kill cone and some tree limb loppers or a pipe cutter might be a good choice for you. I've seen some setups where a garbage bag is wrapped up above the bottom of the kill cone to contain any mess, so there's little issue with blood - this worked well for me. The kill cone keeps them restrained, and you can walk away until everything is done. I like to wrap my birds tightly in a towel first.

And by all means, if you think it will help, have a conversation with them first. I thanked all of mine for their lives and sacrifice, told them they were going to heaven to be with their flock, and that one day they'd be resurrected. Also I prayed for them. I'm sure there are folks who may think these things are silly or done just to assuage guilt, but I don't feel guilty, so much as sad that their deaths were necessary for my family to eat.

Now that I've processed meat birds, I think processing my extra dual purpose roosters will be easier. And then we may move on to the spent hens that we will not be naming. We shall see.
I was thinking raising meat & layers/dual purpose together might help me overcome the harvest issues. My reasoning is that as the meat birds mature, I'll see how difficult their lives become compared to the layers & I can rationalize harvesting as a "mercy kill" vs taking the life of a healthy & vibrant layer/dually.

Forgive this probably dumb question but what did you do with the two birds you had that had heart attacks & dropped over dead & the one with the prolapse? Can you still process & eat them?

I was thinking about ra

I was thinking raising meat & layers/dual purpose together might help me overcome the harvest issues. My reasoning is that as the meat birds mature, I'll see how difficult their lives become compared to the layers & I can rationalize harvesting as a "mercy kill" vs taking the life of a healthy & vibrant layer/dually.

Forgive this probably dumb question but what did you do with the two birds you had that had heart attacks & dropped over dead & the one with the prolapse? Can you still process & eat them?
So, a couple things - I'd recommend checking out the Meat Bird forum and reading any posts you find interesting. I've learned so much by doing that.

Second thing - there are a number of types of meat birds. Best to research the different types and see what might work best for you. Some meat birds, like Cornish Cross, usually need to be kept separate from the eggers due to growth and feed requirements, and differences in temperament, and other meat birds are designed to interact better with eggers. However, the difference between the CX and my eggers were drastically apparent even without mixing flocks.

Cornish Cross, the ones I just raised and processed, are hands-down the fastest growing, most cost effective meat bird out there. But you have to buy chicks every time, since the parent flocks are proprietary and commercially kept. Plus side is they're generally super cheap and you can often find sales, and even when folks run out of eggers (like this spring) you can often still find meat birds. My CX (Cornish Rock Cross) came from Welp Hatchery and I was super pleased with the activity and health of the chicks. A number of hatcheries sell them, and each provides birds that may have slight differences depending on the parent strain. Feed stores sell them too. There are a few strains of CX (2-3 main ones). If you're wanting to raise a bird that appears to be approaching the end of its life when processing day arrives, I'd recommend CX. You can raise them strictly for meat, which is what I did (free feed for first 5 days with the light on 24/7, then feed for 12 hours every day until processing, 22% protein meat bird food), or there are other feeding and management methods that get different health/weight results.

I'd recommend checking out meat bird options at Freedom Ranger hatchery (Rainbow Rangers, New Hampshires from them), the Ginger Broilers and Delaware Broilers at Murray McMurray, just to get you started.

For any bird, when you harvest them determines the tenderness of the meat (not just the amount) and the cooking methods that can be used successfully. [Note: you'll want to let most meat rest in the fridge for at least 3 days after processing to let rigor pass prior to freezing it.]

If you select for optimum meat production and don't mind buying chicks, CX is best. If you want high meat production with less health challenges or a chicken that is less management intensive, a slower growing meat bird is what you'd pick. A dual-purpose bird is middle-of-the-road on both meat and egg production (eggs every 2-3 days or so). An egger bird (White Leghorn is best example of an egger - egg production can't be beat, but it's flighty and generally not personable.) is best at egg production - high feed to egg conversion ratio means they eat less than other types of bird and put all their energy into egg production instead of growing meat. They are generally lightweight (4 lbs or so).

What your goals are for your flock(s) and your homestead should determine what type(s) of birds you choose. Getting a few of each breed you think you might like and then seeing how they grow out for a year or so before investing in a large flock is generally a great plan - many a chicken keeper has been surprised at which turned out to be favorites.

The ones that dropped dead, and the one with prolapse, I unfortunately wasn't able to use - if I'd been present when they died I would have processed them immediately and ate them. But since I didn't know exactly when they died, and it wasn't super cold then, I didn't know how much bacterial load those birds had when I found them, and didn't want to risk my family's health. The one whose legs gave out I was able to process and use - I put it in an isolation pen right next to both the food and water, and was able to keep it alive for a day or so until I had time to process it. Poor thing, it literally couldn't walk, and I couldn't process it immediately. But it had food and water, so was at least content.

Back
Top Bottom