Dreaming of buying a "homestead"

Well today has been interesting. Get up and get ready to go to pick up peat humus to find 2 horses on a busy road. Grab them (they were on leads still) and call animal control who ask me to put them in my backyard, then never call me back. Talk to the horse farm behind us and they aren't theirs. Then some A hole jumps my privacy fence and has the nerve to knock on my backdoor. Apparantly they are his horses, too bad I'm not turning them over without permission from the animal control... he doesn't even have proof of ownership! Seriously, like I'm gonna trust some tweaker looking guy that doesn't even have enough respect for others property to not jump fences AND walk in THEIR backyard! SMH! Plus the police did NOTHING, he said it wasn't trespassing... I looked it up, since my yard is fenced in IT IS! I hate police, everytime I have ever called them they have been 0 help!

Right now we are looking at buying some land and getting something like this built on it

It is around $20,000 for this 1344 sq ft, and its JUST a shell so roof, exterior walls, roof. The $20,000 includes vinyl or metal siding since that lasts longer and is less upkeep than going for a cabin look! Then we would still have foundation, plumbing, hvac, and electrical to worry about... not to mention finishing out the interior (walls, kitchen, bathrooms, etc).

Unfortunately, I probably would have done the same thing. You put my horses into your yard, I would go in to check them out and make sure that they were OK. Sorry you think that was rude. I probably wouldn't have proof of ownership either, he probably didn't have time to go in the house and dig out the sales receipt before going out to search for them. I hope he was at least grateful to you for getting his animals to a safe place. It was a nice thing you did.

Unfortunately, I probably would have done the same thing. You put my horses into your yard, I would go in to check them out and make sure that they were OK. Sorry you think that was rude. I probably wouldn't have proof of ownership either, he probably didn't have time to go in the house and dig out the sales receipt before going out to search for them. I hope he was at least grateful to you for getting his animals to a safe place. It was a nice thing you did.
You would have jumped my fence rather than knocking on my front door? I'm sorry but that is absolutely wrong, and shows a lack of respect! I would have let him in the backyard without an issue to look at the horses. He had no proof of ownership or vet records, horses NEED a coggins test! He doesn't bother to get it which could have put 4 other peoples horses at risk.

He was not grateful to me at all... he threatened me and my husband and jumped our back fence. Umm NO!

He called me a horse thief and refused to look at my phone which proves I called the cops and animal control prior to bringing them onto my property, and had them at their request. I couldn't hand them over to him because he had no proof that they are his and animal control told me I couldn't hand them over to anyone without their permission and when I called the next morning they felt the need for one of their officers to do the handoff.... all of which I told him the night he jumped my fence, when I gave him their number and told him when he could contact them to get his horses back, and the next morning after I contacted them!

He also went on the horse farm in back of our property which clearly has signs saying no trespassing and went in their barn, not even knocking at the door! They didn't even have his horses! He also rides on someone else I know's property without permission.

I'm not trying to attack you here, but I have to take a gun out when I let my dogs into the backyard at night now. I have to keep one on me because this guy is crazy! His actions are in NO WAY okay!

For the record I live not far from him, and while you said you wouldn't have records would you really have an issue with me keeping the horses as instructed by animal control until they could talk to you and sort it out? Cause he was fine that night, and the next morning, but when I told him the same thing the next day I told him the previous night, that animal control had to give me permission due to his lack of proof of ownership he threatened us and called us thiefs, even while animal control was there and it was obvious they were there because WE called!

Well, I will admit if I had lost my horses and had been frantically trying to find them, and when i found them, they were behind a privacy fence where I could not see them, I would have climbed your fence to get to them and check them out. You may feel it is wrong and shows a lack of respect, but it comes down to me being a frantic/caring owner looking for a lost animal and wanting to make sure that they are OK. That said, I would have also climbed back over the fence and went to your front door and been respectful, grateful and ever so humble about losing my animals. If you had asked me for proof of ownership, I would have gone home, got it and my trailer (if needed) and showed back up to get my horses. If you said the next day, I would have waited until the next day - as long as I knew that they were safe and out of danger.
It kinda sounds like the cops know this guy and his ways. Just my assumption.
Sorry that he was/is such and jerk.
It was a nice thing that you did.

Well, I will admit if I had lost my horses and had been frantically trying to find them, and when i found them, they were behind a privacy fence where I could not see them, I would have climbed your fence to get to them and check them out. You may feel it is wrong and shows a lack of respect, but it comes down to me being a frantic/caring owner looking for a lost animal and wanting to make sure that they are OK. That said, I would have also climbed back over the fence and went to your front door and been respectful, grateful and ever so humble about losing my animals. If you had asked me for proof of ownership, I would have gone home, got it and my trailer (if needed) and showed back up to get my horses. If you said the next day, I would have waited until the next day - as long as I knew that they were safe and out of danger.
It kinda sounds like the cops know this guy and his ways. Just my assumption.
Sorry that he was/is such and jerk.
It was a nice thing that you did.
The way you would have done it wouldn't have bothered me, I would have been none the wiser and if someone did tell me I probably would have understood that they were probably freaking and wanted to see them. The fact they couldn't get them until the next day wasn't my call, I explained that I couldn't give them back without permission from the govt agency per their orders... I'm not crossing a govt. agency, especially for someone who disrespects me and my property.

Thank you! I love animals, its not the first one I've gotten out of the road. They were the first horses though LOL! Unfortunately if they get out again I won't get them, since he threatened us!

Been reading and am blown away at the land prices ! Here you couldn't get anything for those prices , 2.5 acres goes for about $50K to $60K and it's marginal land .....properties with mature trees have skyrocketed prices !! , and it just goes up and up ! Really sad because I had hoped to buy my son something for when he grows up , recreational for now and his later , build a cabin etc , Old fixer uppers that need complete guts are anywhere in the $150K range and up , lot and everything included , but still ! u never know what you bought till the walls are opened as some friends found out ......no insulation , hidden junction box's etc , cheaper to build new if you have a few friends in the right trade / electrical , plumbing ec ...........wow , still can't believe the prices ?

Been reading and am blown away at the land prices ! Here you couldn't get anything for those prices , 2.5 acres goes for about $50K to $60K and it's marginal land .....properties with mature trees have skyrocketed prices !! , and it just goes up and up ! Really sad because I had hoped to buy my son something for when he grows up , recreational for now and his later , build a cabin etc , Old fixer uppers that need complete guts are anywhere in the $150K range and up , lot and everything included , but still ! u never know what you bought till the walls are opened as some friends found out ......no insulation , hidden junction box's etc , cheaper to build new if you have a few friends in the right trade / electrical , plumbing ec ...........wow , still can't believe the prices ?
around here I could build a couple beautiful cabins on quit a bit of land for 150k.... here if the land is all timber a lot of people don't want it.. too much work.. everybody wants pasture land but thats not much more expensive. of course property with creek access doubles in price...

around here I could build a couple beautiful cabins on quit a bit of land for 150k.... here if the land is all timber a lot of people don't want it.. too much work.. everybody wants pasture land but thats not much more expensive. of course property with creek access doubles in price...

That would maybe get u a shell of a smaller house on a lot , not even any acreage ! Any land with trees / wooded doubles it seems in value ? we bought our 5 acres over twenty years ago at 10K which was cheap , if you could find the same property now it would be in the 50 to 80K ! Nut's ! I own a band saw mill that I bought brand new to use to build myself a cabin with and now the prices have gone through the roof so that dream is gone . Count yourself very lucky , buy what you can afford , hold it , as I have said before ........there're not making land anymore so get it while you can , solid investment .
Our land was at the end of a wooded area so it was a pasture of sorts , I have planted a few hundred pine trees ( winters are so grey and white here , a splash of color helps lighten the mood ) and it's now starting to become somewhat surrounded by trees , privacy etc is always welcome , so when you said that people didn't want the bother of treed areas ? why do they then buy flat land and plant trees ?Nature provides a wonderful resource , why not live peacefully amongst it ?

Where we are looking at buying land can be $2,000/acre and up. We are looking at a small house on 3.75 acres today though, it is a REO and SUPER affordable... but god knows what the inside looks like! I'm hopeful for now though... if it isn't TOO bad than we could probably fix it up, fence it, add a second living building (like a bunkhouse only a mancave etc), and livestock buildings for less than our current house is!

Back
Top Bottom