drooping chick...

JodyJo

Songster
9 Years
Sep 27, 2010
Colorado
I have 5 chicks I hatched last week, one of them seems off...it sits with its wings drooping to the floor, chirps constantly and in my opinion, it appears it is breathing harder....its pooping normal and all...but I am concerned it may be ill and contagious. Ideas?

I have 5 chicks I hatched last week, one of them seems off...it sits with its wings drooping to the floor, chirps constantly and in my opinion, it appears it is breathing harder....its pooping normal and all...but I am concerned it may be ill and contagious. Ideas?

Is it eating or drinking? What temperature is your brooder? Use some electrolytes or a pinch of sugar and salt in a quart of water, and dip it's beak as often as you can. Make sure that it is warm, but not too hot. A temperature of 90 degrees or less would be good for a week old chick. Check it's vent for pasty butt, and keep it clean and clear.

Is it eating or drinking? What temperature is your brooder? Use some electrolytes or a pinch of sugar and salt in a quart of water, and dip it's beak as often as you can. Make sure that it is warm, but not too hot. A temperature of 90 degrees or less would be good for a week old chick. Check it's vent for pasty butt, and keep it clean and clear.

Just found it sleeping on its back....temp is good, not too hot...no pasty butt, I don't think it is going to make it through the night...a couple of my chicks had to be helped out of the shells on day 25...I have a feeling this is one of them...seemed to be doing great till just today...I'll see what happens tonight...thank you.

I used a syringe to squirt a lil in it's mouth. Giving it to all three of my chicks that I had to help out of the egg. Found the recipe here on backyard chickens. I'd try at least water with honey.

Try adding a little bit of apple cider vinegar to the chick's water. It helps their immune system. Also, keep the droopy chick away from the other chickens in case it is contagious. Good luck!

Hope your little chick makes it! My first chick has wry neck? It gets better after I give it the vitamin e recipe and then by the time I get home from work, my lil chick is not doing so well. Then I give it more. I put ACV in the water, too.

well, its still around...I find it sleeping on its back at times...I thought for certain it would die...still think it will...I have given it electrolytes in its water and am keeping an eye on it...it either sleeps or stands with head hanging and wings out to the ground, cheeping...

First day mine is doing good, left him in the incubator 92 degrees til today. Finally moved him time the brooder. He was doing the same thing, more severe when he was first born. Drooping, wings down, chirping cry. Recipe I used was on this site. Found out sunflower hearts helps, too. Putting a little bit in the feed. So happy! Hope your Lil chick makes it, too.

Back
Top Bottom