Dry Incubation **NOW WITH PHOTOS!** - How Low is Too Low? 10% Humidity**ANSWERED: NO.**

ChooksChick,

Thanks so much for this info on dry incubation. I really appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge.

One question - in the beginning of your instructions you say to completely ignore humidity but the last paragraph in Q&A says to not let the humidity drop below 20%. Is this just for the last few days?
I'm asking because my hygrometer - before adding eggs - reads 10%

Kerri in NC
Excellent question- I've revamped my page a bit here and there, and I really don't use any hygrometers at all anymore, BUT I did notice toward the end of using one that my humidity would drop down to 10-15%- during the winter, especially. I stopped being concerned after testing several hatches and finding that even THAT wasn't low enough to cause a problem.

That being said, occasionally you'll have a batch of thin eggs, almost always WHITE, that will lose moisture faster than expected. Only in this case, when you find that the air cell is growing faster than you would normally see, would I be concerned enough to add water during the first 18-19 days.

Also- these instructions won't work so well with quail or other thin-shelled eggs. I do have to add water with those...but still don't own a hygrometer because I'm such a hatchaholic I can just tell...

KIDS, PLEASE- don't start, because once you start, you won't be able to stop.

(insert old 80's commercial with the egg here...only when they crack it open a chick pops out!!!)

I just want to say thanks for all your info...it sure makes me feel better about trying to hatch eggs again...I was getting so discouraged.

Iv'e had good result in my Brinsea eco 20 at about 25% on days 1-18 and then about 60=65% for lockdown(80% hatch rate. 10% might result in air cells that are to large . I 'd try and get it up a little.

ChooksCHick's page and PMing with her got me going on incubating last summer. I had a number of hatches and learned more each time. I do use a hydrometer just to help me know where the RH is at but I don't calibrate it as the final say is the air cell development in the eggs. I shoot for 25-35%.

Broodies still have a better hatch rate than I do. LOL

Do a little research--some people report poor hatches when RH is very low.

Last edited:
I just did my first hatch as well and used a genesis 1588. Originally I put in no water and the hygrometer read a steady 10% (I worried that was actually the lowest the meter would read). I added a little hot water (through the vent hole, I put in a slupee straw and used it to funnel water to the bottom with the barrel of a large syringe). Anyway, I brought the hudimity up to 30-35% and tried to keep it in that range until lockdown. When I got to lockdown, I didn't think the aircells were as big as I thought they should be, so I only raised the humidty to 60% and kept it there during lockdown.

When the eggs actually started to hatch, it of course naturally went up to 70-75%, but I didn't worry about it at that point.

I ended up with an 85.7% hatch rate (I won the small batch hatching contest
big_smile.png
).

Anyway, this worked well for me.

Good luck with your hatch.

Deb

I just did my first hatch as well and used a genesis 1588. Originally I put in no water and the hygrometer read a steady 10% (I worried that was actually the lowest the meter would read). I added a little hot water (through the vent hole, I put in a slupee straw and used it to funnel water to the bottom with the barrel of a large syringe). Anyway, I brought the hudimity up to 30-35% and tried to keep it in that range until lockdown. When I got to lockdown, I didn't think the aircells were as big as I thought they should be, so I only raised the humidty to 60% and kept it there during lockdown.

When the eggs actually started to hatch, it of course naturally went up to 70-75%, but I didn't worry about it at that point.

I ended up with an 85.7% hatch rate (I won the small batch hatching contest
big_smile.png
).

Anyway, this worked well for me.

Good luck with your hatch.

Deb

Thanks for the great idea! Starting my hatch with a 1588, I'll try the straw idea.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom