dubbing our chickens today

I'm not sure how you can compare a haircut to cutting off a living creature's tissue. It's cruelty for the sake of vanity.
I wouldn't have anyone do something to my animals that I couldn't bear to do or see myself.

I agree, with one breath they say it is for the birds own good then the next it is for show. If it is for show it is cruelty.

Can all you people judging say that you are so free of sin yourselves?

Sin a is wrong against God................
Dubbing is cruelty againts a poor defenseless animal and that is a crime!
And as you say we have our right to our opinion and this is mine. I cannot believe a human can cut up their chickens just to show them off, and that is exactly what you are doing, even though you sugar coat it with the excuse that the birds will suffer if you don't do it.

JUST MY OPINION,,,,CAN'T ARGUE WITH THAT. THANK YOU​

My opinion is I am not saying its like a haircut and I am not saying its for the birds own good.

I was saying that is the history behind it. And instead of sin I should have said cruelty.

Cause if you want to get right down to it anyone who has eaten a white egg from the commercial egg layers has caused more cruelty to a chicken than the 2 minute surgical procedure of dubbing a cockerel.

I am done talking about this subject

Just a little sidenote for thought...with all the hostility towards dubbing, got a little comparison for you all (stand back my mind has been working, LOL)...now this deals with humans, so bear with me....many human males are circumsized after birth, be it religious belief, whatever, but I imagine it hurts a bit, and the child has no choice...it is somes preference to do this, others not to, lets just respect one anothers differences and not make this a right or wrong, soapbox topic that polarizes us. Some people dub, some don't, it is a free country and they are our chickens. I respect any and alls differences of beliefs, religions, opinions, etc....just please refrain from pushing them onto others.....now lets get back to enjoying our chickens....

Thanks...

C

Hi!
I've seen young game cocks being dubbed (and been the holder while they were being dubbed) and it really doesn't seem to phase them. if it's done right.

I *choose* not to dub my MGB --- that is my choice.
smile.png

Lisa

Quote:
I agree with this up to a considerable point... but it sure seems to me that when the snipping starts you ARE pretty much pushing your beliefs onto a nonconsenting other.

As far as frostbite goes, for those who live in areas where frostbite is an issue, there are about a jillion and a half other breeds to choose from that are far less susceptible. Pick something you don't have to be lopping off bits of, eh?

(edited to clarify: I do not mean any specific 'you', I mean anyone in general)

Pat

Last edited:
i can understand how people veiw it as cruel, i have oeg birds and they are a fighting breed and they will fight if you keep them together and they will try to tear off the comb and wattles and kill the other bird while trying so taking off the comb and wattle is almost nessecary [sp] to keep the bird alive. also it is a show regulation to have the wattles/comb dubbed. and go and look at hacheries birds there chickens are dubbed not only for show not only to look good but also for health.

I think it's pretty simple-if you choose not to dub your Game chickens, don't. But understand that if you try to show undubbed cock birds they will be disqualified.
At the same time please don't assume you have the right to tell me what to do with my birds. I show some games so I dub-really none of your business what I do with my property, and that's what chickens are, property. The notion that dubbing interferes with the chicken's right to self determination is anthropomorphisising at it's best! Remember, we eat them too.
For those who have never seen dubbing I assure you it doesn't seem to bother thw birds much. About as much as ear piercing seem to bother people. After you dub a male and drop him onto the ground he'll usually either start eating or dragging a wing to impress a female.
Lastly, PLEASE, ducks waddle, chickens have WATTLES!!!

I was going to close the topic, but let's keep this civil and I'll leave it open for discussion a bit longer. As long as it's required to show certain breeds, dubbing is here to stay, like it or not. Perhaps someone needs to look into changing the rules and the practice will fade into oblivion. JMO, but if someone is only doing it to prevent frostbite, maybe they should look into their housing situation, keeping dampness out, etc, to combat that rather than cutting off part of the chickens' body.

Last edited:
I have heard of dubbing but never knew what it was. I think the most surprising part about it is it's a show requirement. I think a big comb is part of what makes a rooster beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom