d'Uccle color genetics

Pics
I do not wish to hijack this thread but you can read more about this bird here:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/n...-a-biologist-a-farmer-and-a-chimeric-chicken/

(I am not exactly what you would call a chicken farmer, but I like the way it got the point across).

The color genetics from this thread may actually help me figure out what is going on before we can get the birds genotyped. It is not an easy task getting blood exported to the UK and it might take some time.

Last edited:
Quote:
It does look a little bit lemon like.............

Doug, LilCrow...First of all I'm sorry it's been a while since I posted. Been in hospital since last Sunday w/surgery, and didnt have puter access. Now for the "lemon" ordeal...Yes, he does show a lemon/darkening to a more gold. I'll take more pics and post and maybe can get some better shots/lighting for you.

Wegotchickens: let me dig around a bit and see if I can find younger pics of the "wild child" (Thanks lil crow, appropriately named
lol.png
) He does have somewhat of a mott pattern, but ALSO a laced patt to him as well. Please hang in there with me, may take a day or 2 to find what I need for ya
wink.png

Hope everyone is doing well and had a super weekend.

Lilcrow, I forgot to answer your questions in last post (I call it sometimers, hehe, SOMETIMES I happen to remember!). He is coming breeding age and I believe right now I will place him over one of my black ladies with similar lacing/mott pattern, and 'possibly' a lavender girl to see what she produces w/him. The blk gal with neck lacing will most surely reproduce his/her color, if not identical to his, or so my genetic figuring tells me so, but we will see
fl.gif

Here are pics hubby and I just took of "Mr. WC" a few mins ago. First is a top view of back and wing colors. 2nd pic is of profile and hubby snapped to soon as you can see I didnt have him sat all the way down into pose just yet, soooo he looks a bit like an ostrage (sp?) poor guy
gig.gif
Anyway wanted to get these up so you all could view his coloration/markings. Would love to hear any feedback you might have to share
smile.png

39809_wildchild1.jpg

39809_wildchild2.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
LOL, well thanks Celtic...I think he's quite phenominal, but not everyone would consider him as such. I would really like to concentrate on this color with a more 'even' and darker mahogany instead of gold or honey colors. He's got a gorgeous bull neck, correct vulture hocks and isnt 'pinched' in structure like some of the newer colors are. So, for a first timer, I feel he's worth the time needed for a serious project, but thats just ME
big_smile.png
I'm sure he's disgusting to others haha. And I'm ok with that <winks>

Quote:
LOL, well thanks Celtic...I think he's quite phenominal, but not everyone would consider him as such. I would really like to concentrate on this color with a more 'even' and darker mahogany instead of gold or honey colors. He's got a gorgeous bull neck, correct vulture hocks and isnt 'pinched' in structure like some of the newer colors are. So, for a first timer, I feel he's worth the time needed for a serious project, but thats just ME
big_smile.png

What's his history. What do you plan on breeding him to?

Quote:
big_smile.png

He's 4th generation project that I've worked hard to "make". He's part of my black program and his heritage is from my Multi CH Mille boy (and sons) along with mottled, golden necks and pure white/lavender. He is no longer a 'split' to just lavender, but carries the genetics to breed that way if I decide to do so, I also want to use him in my black and black laced program to maintain the darker genes and Mille mahogany (which I'm working on now w/selecting my darker hens). I have several venues I could go at this point, but decided to keep it a very small, closed program so I can keep tract of lineage/parentage and not have to mess with culling a ton of birds. Did that make any sense at all?? LOL...do I need to get my camo suit out again and go
hide.gif
now? HOOT!!

Quote:

He's 4th generation project that I've worked hard to "make". He's part of my black program and his heritage is from my Multi CH Mille boy (and sons) along with mottled, golden necks and pure white/lavender. He is no longer a 'split' to just lavender, but carries the genetics to breed that way if I decide to do so, I also want to use him in my black and black laced program to maintain the darker genes and Mille mahogany (which I'm working on now w/selecting my darker hens). I have several venues I could go at this point, but decided to keep it a very small, closed program so I can keep tract of lineage/parentage and not have to mess with culling a ton of birds. Did that make any sense at all?? LOL...do I need to get my camo suit out again and go
hide.gif
now? HOOT!!

okay you lost me... But COOL, haha! Did you say something about black laced... i wants some!!!

Quote:
hide.gif
now? HOOT!!

okay you lost me... But COOL, haha! Did you say something about black laced... i wants some!!!

Yes, the black 'laced' is a work in progress as well. I have a few pullets showing a nice dark mahogany lacing in hackles as well as in the breast area, but they aren't even close to perfect yet. I'd be happy to share eggs with anyone interested once girls start laying and I hatch the first 50 chicks. Consistancy, quality and CONSISTANCY are very important to me
wink.png
After that I'll be offering eggs to those interested.

ETA: corrections

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom