d'Uccle color genetics

Pics
They are aonly outside for the early part of the day to dustbath and eat morning-noonish bugs/range. Then are put back into inside grow pens till evening. Reason being, we are in process of making new pens, and I have a 20 x 40 heated and air facility, so they have limited time outside. No one else except the 2 pullets have this color coming in with white 'mottled' pattern. Weired...still scratching head??

Quote:
Remember there is still the original D'Uccle thread for general discussion and getting to know everyone. THis is listed in the sticky on top of notible discussions by breed.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=269521&p=1

Lets keep this one on only genetics.
And maybe as Sonoran suggested we start a thread on projects such as my lemon birds.

Lemon birds, well I've got a couple interesting "lemon" visual/genetic kids I'm currently growing out. WC, and one, what I was told is a "lemon dun" (haha) pullet. To me, and entirely my opinion, I believe the pullet to be either Dun or a lemon. I've uploaded a pic of pullet color (mottled too) to get opinions of true color as well as additional genetic info. This was an ooops child (just like my lav mott) so I'm at a loss. Sonoran or someone should be able to help me with this, and possible genetic base?? Is it truly a dun or is she lemon?? How would I breed her should she make final cut? I'll get to WC in a moment as I've read a ton of info and asked around, many opinions on what he is. Feathersites is the very best I could fine with proper discription/pic

Here she is: up close only to show the color...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/39809_015.jpg

BTW, am I banned from the list yet??
idunno.gif
hide.gif

If you go back to Post 39 on page 4 you will see one version of Lemon.

If he is a Lemon Mille Fluer then if you breed him to a Millle Fluer. Take the females and breed back to the roo. With luck you should have more lemon Mille Fluers running around.

This all depends on what color gene was used for your Lemon Color.

Quote:
What is gold splash and what is butterscotch? Genetically, I mean? This is where hobby names get confusing to me.

The picture with the rooster and hens APPEAR to be lavender, IMO. But again, to the untrained eye, a mix of lavender and andalusian blue MAY not be easily recognizable. And neither will it be in a photo on a message board, I don't think.

The single rooster in the pic looks too dark to be a "pure" porcelain, IMO. He may be a mix of andalusian blue and porcelain? That may be where the one hen came from that produces the blue MF chicks? Thats just a guess tho, so don't hold me to it.

If you have any blacks or black mottled hens, I would breed the single rooster in that pic to them - if you get andalusian blue chicks (they will be mottled) then you'll know he's the one causing the trouble.
wink.png

Just tossing in my 2 cents, but that roo that wegotchickens is thinking is porcelain looks more like a blue mille fleur, maybe even a splash mille fleur. Porcelain roos only have the yellow coloring on their hackles and saddles, the rest of them are spotted just like the hens.

Quote:
Splash would explain why he threw gorgeous goldneck birds with the pale goldneck (buff mottled?) hen.
His goldneck babies won BB BV for cockeral and BB RV for pullet against all other d'Uccles at the larger show.

Quote:
Splash would explain why he threw gorgeous goldneck birds with the pale goldneck (buff mottled?) hen.
His goldneck babies won BB BV for cockeral and BB RV for pullet against all other d'Uccles at the larger show.

It would also explain how you got a black chick from breeding him to lavender, since lavender is a diluted black
wink.png

If you breed him to other splash mille fleurs you will get nothing but splash mille fleur. I think this is what you are calling gold neck??

My favorites are the black and blue mottleds, though I like them all
lau.gif

Quote:
Yup, although I've read debates about splash mf vs goldneck for the terminology.

I won't breed him again. He donated his genes and moved to GA.

That's too bad, I would like to get some blue mille fleurs
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom