D'uccle Thread

Quote:
The last couple of batches have been from Welp. I am pretty sure the one before that was McMurray's Feather Footed mix- I got two Golden Necks which they didn't even have on the webpage. I fell in love with the Golden Necks and now I have GN, porcelain, and mille fleur chicks. I tried black mottled and self-blue also but just didn't mesh with those colors. The chickens themselves were very sweet.

I have been happy with Welp and McMurray. I would order again from both places.

Hi everone, I'm looking for input on temperment. Twenty years ago my first d'uccles arrived from a neighbor's small flock. These are tough birds, free ranging and raising thier chicks over the years, with only a couple of outcross pullets introduced. They are PQ, not show birds, but cute and nice to be around. I keep 10 to 15 total with my 20- odd big birds. This year I acquired 5 chicks from Eagle Nest hatchery; very cute and much closer to standard in type, both as needed new blood, and to get more correct type. The new chicks are almost too sweet and gentle! They aren't interested in exploring their environment, unlike everyone else. They're now 12 weeks old, and much less adventurous than my 4 week olds. Is this normal for 'SQ', or what? Thanks, Mary
My best and friendliest rooster is a millefleur d'uccle. He follows me everywhere in the yard (someone had told the bantam didn't range much...HA! this guy ranges so much he's worn the feathers off his feet! - kidding I cut them so he could run faster, probably a faux pas, but whatever), and I carry him around sometimes, he falls asleep in my arms, just loves cuddling. Really he's over the top, but he's totally seduced me, lol!
He is also a great rooster with his hens. He watches over his ladies, makes sure they eat first, growls when there's a threat to get the girls inside, lays by the box when a hen is laying, etc. He holds his own against my larger birds (Barred Rock and Buckeye). Love my d'uccle!
thumbsup.gif

Here's the ''big'' guy:

He thinks he's so big, haha!

Sharing a few pictures of my daughter's little porcelain d'uccle, Pearl. The first pic was last November, as a pullet, when we first brought her home. The second photo was a pic of her on our bathtub -- she seemed to be feeling poorly last winter, and so we brought her in to isolate her and give her a little TLC. This photo cracks me up; finally, the last photo is from this week's county fair, where she won first place for feather-legged bantams, old hens. She is my 11-year-old daughter's pride and joy :) Just about the sweetest hen we've ever had! She has a lot of feather breakage on her feet, but otherwise her feather condition was very nice. We don't know much about conformation, but were very surprised by her ribbon. She was one clean, fussed over little hen, though.

Sharing a few pictures of my daughter's little porcelain d'uccle, Pearl. The first pic was last November, as a pullet, when we first brought her home. The second photo was a pic of her on our bathtub -- she seemed to be feeling poorly last winter, and so we brought her in to isolate her and give her a little TLC. This photo cracks me up; finally, the last photo is from this week's county fair, where she won first place for feather-legged bantams, old hens. She is my 11-year-old daughter's pride and joy :) Just about the sweetest hen we've ever had! She has a lot of feather breakage on her feet, but otherwise her feather condition was very nice. We don't know much about conformation, but were very surprised by her ribbon. She was one clean, fussed over little hen, though.

Aww She's so pretty! Congrats! Our Waffles is so sweet too.

We have a porcelain roo and hen and they are thick as thieves. If you even TOUCH Waffles he's right there demanding answers for touching his woman. Lol He's very sweet too though...just keeps an eye on who's messing with his girl.

What do yall think....she look like a goodun?

and will the chicks still have a good chance of having lots of markings like her even if the roo is not so colorful?

Thanks in advance!!!

Back
Top Bottom