D'uccle Thread

Hi everyone, has anyone ever had Belgium Bearded D'Uucle's hatch with these colours? Looking at previous posts makes me wonder what breed I have (when I bought the eggs I was told they were D'Uucle's).

They are all about a day old

All but 1 hatched with feathered feet

Below photo's are of them at 1 week old

Yes mine are all over the place right now. But I think the eggs I hatched were all from my new splash girl, all of the chicks are either black or splash, plus one Mottled which came from my Mottled pen. The splash is in with the Mille's, but, I do believe was bred with solid black d'Uccle when I bought her. I will do a couple more hatches with her to see if she throws me some Golden Necks, if not off to the swap she goes.

Hi everyone, has anyone ever had Belgium Bearded D'Uucle's hatch with these colours? Looking at previous posts makes me wonder what breed I have (when I bought the eggs I was told they were D'Uucle's).

They are all about a day old

All but 1 hatched with feathered feet

Below photo's are of them at 1 week old

It looks like some other rooster got in with the hens. I hatched out a bunch of chicks last year thinking I would get a lot of Mille's, but found out later my Marans cockerel got in a small hole and bred all my girls. I got nothing but Marans/d'Uccle mixes. they are all gone except for a pair, which are in their own pen.

Ok.

So, I still suck at chicken farming. Had the black rooster in my hands tonight, ready to break his neck...

Couldn't do it.

Instead, I got out my pet carrier, put him in there, drove up to the forestry road, found a tree with high branches I could reach and set him there...

how many laws did I just break?
hide.gif
I work in the animal welfare field here in Wisconsin and you probably only broke one or two laws, lol. I will say, that I recently had to capture a "dumped" rooster that was causing quite a stir on a rural road. After days of trying I finally climbed a tree to nab him. I know you aren't alone in releasing the unwanted boys, and I have to say, that catching them can be kind of fun if you're a chicken nut like me. Now the rooster has a new home so there's a happy ending. I have had a couple really naughty roos myself that I couldn't sell or give away. I live out in the country and just made sure those mean roos were left outside the coop during the night. The next morning, they were gone. I figure something may as well enjoy the free meal!

On a side note, what is a "side spur"? I've seen several posts about them recently.......

Yes mine are all over the place right now. But I think the eggs I hatched were all from my new splash girl, all of the chicks are either black or splash, plus one Mottled which came from my Mottled pen. The splash is in with the Mille's, but, I do believe was bred with solid black d'Uccle when I bought her. I will do a couple more hatches with her to see if she throws me some Golden Necks, if not off to the swap she goes. 
if she dosent i will buy her i have been looking for splash.

Last edited:
Ok.

So, I still suck at chicken farming. Had the black rooster in my hands tonight, ready to break his neck...

Couldn't do it.

Instead, I got out my pet carrier, put him in there, drove up to the forestry road, found a tree with high branches I could reach and set him there...

how many laws did I just break?
hide.gif
Why would you do that. You couldn't give him away free. Not trying be accusing, I just don't under stand. I'm lucky I guess, my BF will kill ill or mamed birds and I give the Amish unwanted roo's. I won't just put a bantam in a tree. Was he sick?

Back
Top Bottom