D'uccle Thread

Bought this little Porcelain D'uccle Bantam cockerel from a pet breeder in Elverta, CA. As I take look at him today. I saw that he might have a little something in him as he came in 5 toes. No top hats, not a silkie or sultan genetics, so maybe salmon favorelle bc the mother have a huge beard and muff.

d'uccle are supposed to be bearded. Could be a mix or just poorly bred.

Anyone near CT interested in some young roosters from my stock? My last hatch about 2 months ago ended up being 8 roosters and 5 hens. I already parted with 1 hen as a package to get rid of 2 roos but can't part with anymore of the hens until late fall. Let me know, I'd be willing to drive a little ways for 5$. If you come pick up, they are free. Thanks!

Hi! My first chicks are three weeks old now, I've got four D'Uccle Millie's and three Bantam EE's. Just as pets, I don't plan on showing anyone. I'm in the process of building their coop, and was wondering what kind of roosts your D'Uccles prefer? Square roosts, or round ones? I have a small roost in the brooder and the EE's have no problem perching on it (only usually for a few minutes they aren't trying to roost yet) but the D'Uccles seen to be having problems with it. Not sure if it's because they're still babies and they're awkward or if it's because with their feathered feet (and toes don't seem as long as the EE's) make it harder for then to perch on round roosts? They can get up on my arm, and if I stick a furlong strip in there they all get on that.

Any Input is appriciated thanks!

Hi! My first chicks are three weeks old now, I've got four D'Uccle Millie's and three Bantam EE's. Just as pets, I don't plan on showing anyone. I'm in the process of building their coop, and was wondering what kind of roosts your D'Uccles prefer? Square roosts, or round ones? I have a small roost in the brooder and the EE's have no problem perching on it (only usually for a few minutes they aren't trying to roost yet) but the D'Uccles seen to be having problems with it. Not sure if it's because they're still babies and they're awkward or if it's because with their feathered feet (and toes don't seem as long as the EE's) make it harder for then to perch on round roosts? They can get up on my arm, and if I stick a furlong strip in there they all get on that.

Any Input is appriciated thanks!

Mine roost on 2x4 and 2x6 with the 2 up.

Quote:
I used 2x3 or 2x4 for all of my birds (chickens, guineas, and turkeys), wide end up. Even roosting in trees, they would choose a very broad branch that keeps their feet relatively flat and lets them balance properly rather than a tiny one that their toes would wrap around like a canary perch. Is the one closest to your hand Mille Fleur as well?

Last edited:
I just hatched seven little d'Uccles from 12 shipped eggs (six yesterday and the last straggler I had to help out this morning as the humidity dropped overnight and it got stuck). The roo was a blue MF and the hens MF and buff. It looks like I have 2 or 3 buff, 3 MF, and one looks like it could be a blue MF (fingers crossed).

The colors do not come across quite right whether I use the flash or not . Does the black mark on the head indicate anything? All but two have it.

Thanks for your input everyone! :)
Quote:
I used 2x3 or 2x4 for all of my birds (chickens, guineas, and turkeys), wide end up. Even roosting in trees, they would choose a very broad branch that keeps their feet relatively flat and lets them balance properly rather than a tiny one that their toes would wrap around like a canary perch. Is the one closest to your hand Mille Fleur as well?
No, she's one of my three Easter Eggers Bantams :)

I'm new to Backyard chickens and very excited to find a thread for Mille Fleurs. These are my favorite birds. We started a new flock of them this year which I'm very excited about because I had these chickens in my first flock years ago and they were wonderful birds. These two are four months old. Meet Napoleon and Josephine!

Back
Top Bottom