D'uccle Thread

I am so sad. Tonight I found my only D'uccle pullet dead in her run.
hit.gif

She was my little survivor, hatched along with a beautiful Barred bantam Cochin from eggs delivered during the big snow storm of 2011 back in January. Izzy and Lizzy have been inseparable. Izzy and I will both miss her very much.
RIP my dear little friend.

73072_white.jpg

Quote:
hugs.gif
I'm so sorry!!
Why is it always pullets that die young?

Do you have any ideas on what might've been wrong?

Thanks. I am thinking about taking her to the lab for free necropsy. I noticed she was droopy over the weekend but she was eating watermelon yesterday afternoon. I am suspicious of egg issues. She wasn't laying great and the last egg I found was dry and rough like sandpaper.

Quote:
hugs.gif
I'm so sorry!!

Thanks. I am thinking about taking her to the lab for free necropsy. I noticed she was droopy over the weekend but she was eating watermelon yesterday afternoon. I am suspicious of egg issues. She wasn't laying great and the last egg I found was dry and rough like sandpaper.

Sorry to hear CP...WGC is right, always the girls it seems
sad.png
Hope all else is well. Take care hun...

Quote:
hugs.gif
I'm so sorry!!

sorry to hear about your loss of a sweet little girl. here's hoping you will find someone just as sweet to help your other chickie adjust.
it sounds like with the heat we've been having all over the place that it could have been the culprit or maybe egg binding. if she was panting heavily it could have been either one of those issues, sometimes its hard to recognize one or the other. heat can take it's toll on a bird by slowing down their egg production if they have not become accustomed to it.

water melon on hot days is a very good way to keep them hydrated while making sure they are getting something to eat. when their water gets to warm they may not touch it until you ice it down. so cold or cool fruits that contain lots of water are good for them. also, an open shallow container of water that they can stand or run through is good too

Chickie'sMoma :

Quote:

sorry to hear about your loss of a sweet little girl. here's hoping you will find someone just as sweet to help your other chickie adjust.
it sounds like with the heat we've been having all over the place that it could have been the culprit or maybe egg binding. if she was panting heavily it could have been either one of those issues, sometimes its hard to recognize one or the other. heat can take it's toll on a bird by slowing down their egg production if they have not become accustomed to it.

water melon on hot days is a very good way to keep them hydrated while making sure they are getting something to eat. when their water gets to warm they may not touch it until you ice it down. so cold or cool fruits that contain lots of water are good for them. also, an open shallow container of water that they can stand or run through is good too​

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I think my cochin is doing better than I am. I took Lizzy to the Poultry lab today. They are amazing! They said she was not actually even laying (all those bantam eggs were from the cochin) and that there was NO obvious cause of death.
roll.png
Wasn't the heat as she has indoor access to my 75 degree basement. Her heart was fine and there was no sign of infectious disease. So now we know.....nothing really. Tissue samples were sent for hystology although the DR. wasn't expecting to find anything. Chickens always keep us guessing.

On a possitive note, I recently hatched a single Millie Fleur from a friend and wasn't sure if I was going to keep her.....now I know where she belongs. Please keep your fingers crossed, that she is a she!

fl.gif
for you to have a new girl!

I guess sometimes there are just no answers. How aggravating. I wish you were closer; I currently have some spare girls. Too hot to even think about shipping though....

Looking for a d'uccle hen any age to purchase or for a home for my 2 year old d'uccle hen. My hen is lonely since her friend died.
Please send me a personal message. Thank you! Live in Grand Rapids, Michigan

Quote:
ep.gif
oh no!!!!! i love d'uccle but i never owned one or alleast i thought! i got two baby chicks that looked just like that out of a ramdom chick box at tractor supply! to bad i gave them away because i didnt know that they where d'uccle!!! i cant believe that i had that beautiful breed and i let it get a way
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom