D'uccle Thread

Doug, I am really looking forward to seeing your results on the lemon project!
happy hatching!!!

I candled last night and I have some D'Uccles on day 8 that are comming along.
They are some more of the Lavendar improvement program as well as the lemon project which are all fertile.
It will be good to see the results of the lemon project after 2 years.

So, in about 8 weeks I'm taking my d'Uccles to the Central Maine Bird Fanciers Show.

Usually I just enter cochins, but now I have these great porcelain d'Uccles and one blue mille fleur roo that I'm entering.

The pullets are happy to be in cages and look pretty good.

The roosters, on the other hand are raggedy from molting,they wear out their tail feathers in cages and are just generally aggravated about being away from the hens.

Any suggestions to get these boys looking good by May 27th???

Last edited:
ooooh... congrats! Wish I could have a rooster, but alas we live in the city
hit.gif
Now all I have to rely on hopefully finding a roo that can cover my pullet :/ Although she is laying :) just have to wait for a show to come around to see what her flaws are.

I know how you feel, I finally just moved the country last year after waiting forever with NO chickens.

I read before tbat crushing cat food, mainly Meow Mix which has high protein, helps feathers regrow. I have never tried this before, so I have no idea how it works.

Also, maybe keep your cocks with 1 or 2 hens in a wire cage or deep (and I mean DEEP) bedding. Again, this was a suggestion from another person, so I have no idea how it works.

And, P.S., your birds are gorgeous!

So, in about 8 weeks I'm taking my d'Uccles to the Central Maine Bird Fanciers Show.

Usually I just enter cochins, but now I have these great porcelain d'Uccles and one blue mille fleur roo that I'm entering.

The pullets are happy to be in cages and look pretty good.

The roosters, on the other hand are raggedy from molting,they wear out their tail feathers in cages and are just generally aggravated about being away from the hens.

Any suggestions to get these boys looking good by May 27th???

I also feed Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. I have heard comments on the excellent feather quality afterwords from the judge.

Some people will also feed calf manna to help them along.
I have also heard that this is good to. Don't know for sure as I am just about to get it from the feed store. http://www.nutraglo.com/Nutra_Glo_Poultry_Suppliments.html

I read before tbat crushing cat food, mainly Meow Mix which has high protein, helps feathers regrow. I have never tried this before, so I have no idea how it works.

Also, maybe keep your cocks with 1 or 2 hens in a wire cage or deep (and I mean DEEP) bedding. Again, this was a suggestion from another person, so I have no idea how it works.

And, P.S., your birds are gorgeous!

thank you thank you..so happy that the 6 eggs I collected from my girl are ALL fertile!..3 more to hatch next Friday
big_smile.png
now to find the nest she has hidden, they chickens got out to free range and she is the only one not going back in the coop to lay!..
he.gif

I had 6 Mile Fleur d'Uccles hatch... 3 are having leg problems but the other 3 are fine. I do have a question.... one of them is chipmunk striped... is that normal?

Back
Top Bottom