Duck behaving strange/worryingly, help please

Tominski

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2016
Colchester, England
Hi everyone,

One of my runners keeps having little episodes. She acts as though she is trying to flap her wings, but flaps them individually and really slowly/jerky. Then she will act as though she is worn out and lay sown with her wings out (see pic)
As soon as she has done it she is back to normal. So far i have only seen her do it twice. i am wondering if any ones ducks have shown behaviour like this before? Or am i better getting her straight to the vets?
Thanks for any info/advice you can share.
Tom

CR many of us cannot get specialty feed like water fowl feed that is why they make All Flock if you took a survey on here most with ducks and other poultry probably don't use "different feed" they feed everyone the same since that is what most of us can get.

OP what do you feed your ducks?

It seems the supplementing may be helping. We only saw two episodes yesterday, and today we cut out all other goodies they had been getting (spring mix or kale or bananas or cranberries usually) as we normally saw it happen around the time they got any of these. They had done it other times as well, and we do pay most attention when we are feeding them but we decided to cut them out just to be safe. I bought something called Toxiban to add to their water if this continues that is supposed to absorb any toxins in their system because my father was worried about dehydration if I used a flush. Thank you all so much for your support and suggestions, I will continue posting updates! My girls thank you too!

Attachments

• D6E5F7D2-8AE0-4BA2-AB67-E12C9BACBC32.jpeg
    D6E5F7D2-8AE0-4BA2-AB67-E12C9BACBC32.jpeg
    390.7 KB · Views: 0
Not that I know of some just use a clothes basket to transport them in I have had several size dogs over the years so I just use a dog carries in size appropriate. Or possibly one of those cardboard carriers that kitty's get transported in they usually have them at the vets office they have holes already in the sides and a handle. put a towel in the bottom or pee pads for puppies.

I hope it's some fixable like the calcium def. Do you feed them layer or put out any other form of calcium like oyster shell? Also calcium citrate[human] can be given to them. Hoping for the best for your lil one and she sounds very precious. We had a member back last year that got s diagnosis on her duck of Epilepsy and started it on meds last we heard it was doing fine. I doubt I could find the thread though but you might type in either of these in the search at top of page and come up with info.

Please keep us posted on how she is doing. and very happy to hear she isn't egg bound too.

Thanks for update @Tominski
X2
(but nothing to add this time
wink.png
) Miss Lydia covers it so well.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom