Duck Breed Focus - Buff Orpington

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
The Buff Orpington duck breed was created in England when William Cook, the famous poultry breeder from Orpington, Kent, blended Cayuga, Runner, Aylesbury and Rouen ducks to create a buff colored duck that would allow him to cash in on the early 20th century English fad for buff-colored plumage. This first duck was called a Buff Orpington and Cook went on to develop Blue, Black and Chocolate Orpington versions that had white bibs on their chests. Cook introduced his Buff Orpington to the United States in 1908 at the Madison Square Garden Show in New York City. In 1914, this breed was admitted into the British Poultry Standard in 1910 and the American Standard of Perfection in 1914, under the name "Buff," which is unusual since in no other instance is a color used as a breed name.

The Buff is a long, broad bird with an oval head, medium length bill, and long, gracefully curved neck. The Buff duck's body carriage is twenty degrees above horizontal, its wings are short and it has a small, well-curled tail. Both the duck and drake have buff plumage, orange-yellow shanks and feet, and brown eyes. The drake's bill is yellow while the duck's bill is brown-orange.

Details:

Purpose: Dual
Egg laying: 160-200 eggs per year
Weight: Drake: 4.8 - 7.5lb; Duck 4.8 - 7lb

Pic by @Searsmom

Pic by @DucksnDaffodils

Pic by @DucksnDaffodils

Pic by @jessiduck

Do you own Orpingtons? Are you an Orpington breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

love.gif

My Bean

Muddy Hazel

Romy up front, Michele behind.

Last edited:
· What made you decide to get this breed? I ended up getting this bread because I live the Northwest and it gets really cold here and my research concluded that they are one of the more "hearty" breads when it comes with dealing with such wide temperature ranges. I also read they are the best to eat (if one so chooses to do so, I dont have such plans at this time, doesnt mean it wont happen in the future). I also read that they will lay a decent number of eggs every year. (though I got them in summer this year and have not received this prize from them yet, I also do not supplement their light for the winter). I also read these little guys do not fly, which was a concern for me as I let them free range in my backyard. The final straw was their color. I liked the way they looked over other non flyers.

· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose? I own them for fun/eggs. I think these little guys are quite funny. We have a slightly chaotic house and they fit in well.

·
What are your favorite characteristics about this breed? The fact that they are VERY EASY to take care of, I do not have a feeder system as we get a lot of rain, I do not want the food to get wet/damp and mold to start developing. I have a 10'x15' pin for them that has a standard bath tub sunk into the ground as a pool. I have to change the water about every three days, and put the new straw in the coop (8x4 house) about once every week. It stays very clean, someone could probably go longer but this schedule works for me and the ducks stay quite clean as well. I am guessing it stays so clean as it I let them out during the day to run around or swim and put them up at night.

· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc! I will get them up. I do not have any on this computer (when I saw the post).

Yes you are correct, his eye is crusty because he is blind :( I'm not sure what the fluid is but he's been that way since he hatched. It doesn't seem to bother him, he appears to be happy and has access to bathing water 24/7. My hubby says I fuss on him too much :confused:
Oh i didnt read he was blind! i bet hes got a big bond with you then! Real sweet of you taking such good care

This is my 5 month old boy Stevie, having a snooze on my lap I have 19 Buff Orpingtons, just starting a breeding program. Hope to also show them. They are great ducks, fun personalities and very pretty. A little different to other ducks, I like the males brown heads and lack of white neck ring.

Attachments

• 15558966544476383853897692007833.jpg
    15558966544476383853897692007833.jpg
    587 KB · Views: 18
is it just me or does he have alot of dried eye gook? Hes a Handsom boy
Yes you are correct, his eye is crusty because he is blind :( I'm not sure what the fluid is but he's been that way since he hatched. It doesn't seem to bother him, he appears to be happy and has access to bathing water 24/7. My hubby says I fuss on him too much :confused:

Back
Top Bottom