Duck Breed Focus - Indian Runner

They are 2 of the 4 that have started laying again. They will do it most of the year except for winter when they mostly just stay warm. They seem to pair up too my girl on girl teams are:

Rhiannon and Entie
Tella and Ettie
Greta and Snow (before Snow passed)
Dove and everybody - but believe me she is not a victim - hoochie duck
roll.png

What made you decide to get this breed? I had ducks as a kid but never heard of runners. I got them as they are supposed to be good ducks to train stockdogs on. My border collie Loki and I have been learning on these ducks (yes, we take herding lessons with a professional).
I'm rather addicted to ducks and enjoyed them quite a bit as a kid. My current runners don't care for me much-- they were raised without much exposure to people (I got them at 3-4 mo. old) and view me as a cross between a lunch lady and an odd version of a shepherd as Loki and I move them around the yard a lot. Of course, their innate distrust hasn't stopped me from watching them nonstop and giggling over their antics. They've recently figured out how to climb the steep steps to my back deck, search the deck for food, and run like hell when I open the back door.
lau.gif
Then they spend their afternoons laying under a bird feeder in the hopes that some feed will fall from heaven.
celebrate.gif

So, I am now getting two duck eggs every morning. I only have two runner ducks so that means they are for sure both girls, right? Then why are they trying to mate with each other?? It's making me crazy. Is this normal if they don't have a drake??
My female runners happily mate together. . then the male joins in. I guess ducks just like to have fun!
idunno.gif

You need to watch carefully, especially once the weather is warm. There are people who have pairs that do fine together. But there are people who have seen drakes go after one female and harm or even mortally wound her.

If you suspect any harm - any harm - to any of your ducks, you can separate them, and then decide whether to add to the flock or rehome.

The good news is that it is something we are all capable of doing - taking care of each member of the flock.

@James Beller

Last edited:
I have Runners, too, and a Buff drake. Generally, drake behaviors overlap quite a bit across breeds. There are mellow drakes and aggressive drakes of every breed as far as I can tell from my reading and conversations with other duck keepers.

So, some Call drakes are mellow, some not. Some Runners, some not, Pekins - - - I don't think breed matters as much as individual personality and environment. Environment can affect their behavior - space, proper diet, and probably other factors can affect behavior in drakes and ducks (females).

I have Runners, too, and a Buff drake. Generally, drake behaviors overlap quite a bit across breeds. There are mellow drakes and aggressive drakes of every breed as far as I can tell from my reading and conversations with other duck keepers.

So, some Call drakes are mellow, some not. Some Runners, some not, Pekins - - - I don't think breed matters as much as individual personality and environment. Environment can affect their behavior - space, proper diet, and probably other factors can affect behavior in drakes and ducks (females).
thank you i am getting emery penciled runners and should i get mallard colored runners
@Amiga

Back
Top Bottom