Duck Breed Focus - Mallard

Sun was shining yesterday, and my mallard drake was looking all pretty :)

My two mallard girls are sisters, but I can't tell them apart, haha! I don't even know which ones are in these pictures.

One week ago, 2/13/16, I was given two female mallards and a drake mallard. Upon being set free, they immediately went to the little pond I had placed in the chicken run for them and the larger female and drake began mating. Certainly was not expecting that. Now I wonder if there will be fertilized eggs soon and what I should do to prepare for the possibility of ducklings. There have been no egg laying yet. In fact, every time they are in the water, the drake overwhelms the larger female.

I fixed up a little house for them but they are choosing to sleep under a camper shell in the run. Not sure how to get them in the coup for the night; the first day they checked out the coup that had freshly laid pine chips. Checked it out and then never went back in. Wondering if straw would be preferred? What bedding do most of you use?

Every day it seems I am slowly being trusted -- but the two females wag their heads as they walk away quacking all the long very agitated and loudly. Is this normal? It's funny to watch them as it's like they are having a discussion. I found out they are sisters. They came from a home that did not provide water to swim in. They are foraging in the run eating mud and drinking the pond water. There is fresh water always available with the organic chicken crumbles that I had on hand. I've been supplementing them with veggies 2x's a day which they look forward to now. Also have been giving them chicken scratch -- which they don't seem interested in.

This next week, I'm looking forward to receive six hens. The ducks were used to sleeping with chickens.

This is all new to me and I want to do right by them. Guess I'm needing a little reassurance.
roll.png
Any input would be most welcome.

One week ago, 2/13/16, I was given two female mallards and a drake mallard. Upon being set free, they immediately went to the little pond I had placed in the chicken run for them and the larger female and drake began mating. Certainly was not expecting that. Now I wonder if there will be fertilized eggs soon and what I should do to prepare for the possibility of ducklings. There have been no egg laying yet. In fact, every time they are in the water, the drake overwhelms the larger female.

I fixed up a little house for them but they are choosing to sleep under a camper shell in the run. Not sure how to get them in the coup for the night; the first day they checked out the coup that had freshly laid pine chips. Checked it out and then never went back in. Wondering if straw would be preferred? What bedding do most of you use?

Every day it seems I am slowly being trusted -- but the two females wag their heads as they walk away quacking all the long very agitated and loudly. Is this normal? It's funny to watch them as it's like they are having a discussion. I found out they are sisters. They came from a home that did not provide water to swim in. They are foraging in the run eating mud and drinking the pond water. There is fresh water always available with the organic chicken crumbles that I had on hand. I've been supplementing them with veggies 2x's a day which they look forward to now. Also have been giving them chicken scratch -- which they don't seem interested in.

This next week, I'm looking forward to receive six hens. The ducks were used to sleeping with chickens.

This is all new to me and I want to do right by them. Guess I'm needing a little reassurance.
roll.png
Any input would be most welcome.
They are so comical! My little hens are very aggressive towards my scovy drakes, and the boys run away from them, lol. I would politely scoot them into the coop at night, unless you feel your run is secure. They do seem to prefer hay as bedding but pine chips are fine.

Well my mallard hen gave up on her nest on the last day! All eggs duds (some rotten which she broke in nest and started to discard) but one was a day away from hatching but died in the cold nest! Hopefully they will start again. They are both not a year old yet! My guess they were just starting to get it right, thus the one fertile egg, but she went broody then. Nine infertile and one fertile!

Well my mallard hen gave up on her nest on the last day! All eggs duds (some rotten which she broke in nest and started to discard) but one was a day away from hatching but died in the cold nest! Hopefully they will start again. They are both not a year old yet! My guess they were just starting to get it right, thus the one fertile egg, but she went broody then. Nine infertile and one fertile!

First year broody ducks will sit on anything, and try so hard to hatch. I bet she will build another egg clutch.

Back
Top Bottom