Duck drowned in its own pool

chickenbaby

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 10, 2008
Tooele, Utah
So, I noticed my female duck playing in her little pool yesterday. I went to check on her and watch her play she seemed fine, she is a duck after all. This morning I check on the flock and my duck was dead in the pool. I have never heard of a duck drowning itself - What in the world. Has anyone heard of this?
sad.png

hi,how old was she?...sorry to hear about it..i have heard of young ducklings drowning cause mom didnt raise them and they wernt ready to swim yet..(i think)..something to do with the feathers.....but someone here will help ya..wendy

Are you sure she could get out? I've had ducks who could get themselves into the kiddie pool but not back out without help, especially if the water level was down a bit from their splashing. I always make it a point to have a brick or 2 in there close to the edge so they can for sure get back out and watch until I've seen them do it a time or 2. I figure that with the brick there they have something to stand on if they get too tired to get back out.

Hawke

When ducklings are young, you should place rocks or bricks in their pool so they can get out easily. It is not uncommon for ducklings to drown because they aren't big enough to get out of their pool without assistance.

Runners aren't the best of swimmers anyway. Looks like she probably couldn't get out and probably became waterlogged and exhausted and drowned. I'm very careful to make sure my ducks have a step to get out of the pool.

My guess is also it was unable to get out. I used to have ducks, we learned to make sure the cement lined ponds had a gentle slope the ducks could easily handle. Even a wall just few inches high really gave some ducks much trouble.

When we moved to a rental house in the city, we had to use the kiddie plastic pools, what I did was get bunches of bricks and lay "steps" both inside and outside the pool. It's odd, sometimes a duck could manage to jump straight over the pool, yet other times they'd be flapping, clawing all their might and they just couldn't and had to use the bricks to get out. (those were all adult mallards and muscovies)

Sorry to hear of your loss xx

Did she have a boyfriend? Duck love can be incredibly rough - my friends drake broke the neck of his favouite lady whilst in their paddling pool. Her head was over the edge of the pool and that was that.

In the wild I have heard of drakes drowning their ladies.

Back
Top Bottom