Duck Emergency - Attack Wounds (Graffic Pics)

Screaming Monkey & Apep continue to improve.
smile.png
Their hospital is our mud room (& boy does it smell like something is injured. The kids & I have a very good scent sense. Back to business.) The rest of the flock was acting so dejected when they were let our to range the yard today.
sad.png
idunno.gif
The 2 mallards didn't even do their usual flight path. Since SM & A were doing better they came out for a visit & bath in the clean pool.
hugs.gif
Apep even strechted out his wings with a few slow flaps. (Poor runner duck thinks he should fly
th.gif
since my 16 yr old son would "fly" him around
smack.gif
when he was a duckling. I swear that duck gets off the ground a few inches for a foot or two.) I added Vi-tal to the pool water & regular watering container. Both are drinking, but Apep seemed to be the only one who ate while outside. When they seemed ready to come in they went back to the mud room where I hung a heat lamp.

Thanks to all. I didn't think about a duck bath. Yes, I am 4mo new into raising ducks. Children, sheep & dogs I can handle for the most part. A good long soak in a warm bath (with 2 water changes) really seemed to help perk them up. DH went to the farm store which did not have the suggested wound care products, but did have Vetericyn (antiseptic, antimicrobial,ect) spray. We sprayed the wounds with the Vetericyn & settled them into the mud room. The least severe duck even started quacking (talking) to the other duck when they were settled in for the night.

The dog RamRod is our newly adopted Hybrid Boston Terrier/Min Pin. I don't think he was really trying to kill them or he would have. We take him out on a leash when the birds are free ranging or put him in the back yard fence. He loves to "play chase" and can get to rough. He & our lionhead buck play hide & seek (always under our supervision). He knows to sit or lay & wait when Diego is sitting on a lap until Diego is ready to run. We now have to decide how we are going to keep the the birds safely away from RamRod.

I will update to let all know how Screaming Monkey (Swedish Blue) & Apep (Blue Runner) are doing.

Veterycin is awesome I use it all the time not only on the ouches on my ducks/ chickens but dogs etc. great stuff. Hope you see great imoprovement quickly...
fl.gif

A hawk just attacked a duck that I have in our yard we feed but they are completely domestic is there anything I can do?

This thread offers plenty of advice on treatment options for a domestic duck. If the wounds are worse than flesh wounds (broken bones etc) you'll need to bring it to a vet.

I have a chicken that just recovered from an abscess- I took her to the vet and had it opened- it was a 2 inch long gaping hole in her thigh, and the wound was a big pocket that extended another 2 inches up to her knee. Because of the bacteria- I cleaned it daily with very dilute betadine (vet also said chlorhexadine would work too). Then the wound was packed with Manuka honey. You can also use white sugar if in a pinch. Lots of exotic and avian vets use sugar/honey treatments for wound management since there are so few drugs approved for birds. Just an idea!

My chicken was also on Clavamox drops for over 2 weeks because the abscess was so severe....I used honey (I ended up buying Medi-honey off of Amazon) for about 20 days, then when the wound seemed to have closed and was pretty superficial I just slathered on triple antibiotic. Whole process took a month.

Ducks and chickens are very resilient- my vet said he never gives up on them because they can make it through some pretty crazy stuff!

about 1 month ago...

this was last week....

Thank you so much
We are on a island that has limited means to treatment but I am now on my way to see if I can some of what has been mentioned.
We have her in a chicken coop right with water and food and hoping she feels safe until we get back.
The wound is big 2 inches or more but not bleeding as such.
She is very alert.
Frightened to death. I am hoping to find something to might help to prevent infection.
This duck is nervous of me so that makes it hard to know if I am causing more grief or if she has a fighting chance.

Thank you so much
We are on a island that has limited means to treatment but I am now on my way to see if I can some of what has been mentioned.
We have her in a chicken coop right with water and food and hoping she feels safe until we get back.
The wound is big 2 inches or more but not bleeding as such.
She is very alert.
Frightened to death. I am hoping to find something to might help to prevent infection.
This duck is nervous of me so that makes it hard to know if I am causing more grief or if she has a fighting chance.
If you are in america,

Vetericyn liquid spray wound care is great is for all animals with deep wounds to heal and fight infection, if u do not have that try some hydroperoxide and some neosporin and bandage it up with some medical cloth and gauze. Both of those things are completely safe for ducks , i use them, i know other who use them, the priority now would be to stop any bleeding, get her hydrated and start healing the wound.

Last edited:
Clean sugar dusted on cleaned wound is excellent to start "granulation" to begin healing/ closing wounds with skin.
Know it sounds silly but when a vet says put animal down and it's still eating..it's worth a try!

Thank you for this info
This actually happened in the spring and she did survive.
I sprayed her with blue coat twice and kept her well isolated with another wounded duck.
She actually started laying and had ducklings.
We were very surprised but so happy our only two females were both attacked but with care are thriving now.

Back
Top Bottom