Duck Emergency - Attack Wounds (Graffic Pics)

I don't know who did this to her, but my duck was found stuck in the pond too weak to get out, and the other ducks were pecking her bloody back. She was too weak to be frightened out of the pond. I had to rescue her.

I will try applying honey to the wound tomorrow.

Horace is a mix of Pekin, Rouen, and Swedish Blue. She looks like her mother, the Rouen, but is as large as a Pekin, lays jumbo eggs, and has 2 white flight feathers like her grandpa, the Swedish Blue.

Horace the Duck.jpg

Last night her lumbar area looked like a bloody mess. The wound is about 3in wide and 4in long. Her preen gland and the edges of her wings were also damaged. I didn't want to touch the raw flesh, so I ran water over it and then sprayed it with SeedCept, a citrus based antibacterial wound cleanser, then covered it in antibiotic ointment. I kept her isolated last night because she was weak and I didn't want the others to pick on her. Also, it was pouring rain, and I wanted to go fast.

In the morning, I moved Horace to the large cage where I keep my lame ducks, old Tiny and Hop-a-long. I covered her wound with sugar, because I had it in my pocket, and added apple cider vinegar to the water dispenser.
Horace's wound after 24hrs.jpg

Tonight Horace has a low grade fever but the wound appears to be granulating. The odor was of blood and flesh and not foul or purulence. She trusts old Tiny and hides behind her for protection. Horace is much more comfortable with the 2 lame ducks, who aren't mean.

When I put all the ducks away tonight, I'm planning to isolate Horace again since the other ducks might peck her wound. I'll also apply honey to her wound. I'll move her back to the big cage in the morning when I let the ducks out again.

Last edited:
You have no idea what got hold of her? Sounds like you know what your doing as far as treatment goes only thing I would add is if it’s still warm in your area flies can be a problem then maggots. Please keep us updated on how she is doing . Horace sure is a pretty one!

I gave Horace a bath today and discovered further damage. The lumbar wound extends down her left flank. And there is also a deep shoulder wound that looks very much like a fang mark. That convinced me that a mammal predator got in my fence and attacked her during daylight. Time to set the traps!

Today, the wound smells a little foul but is dry and healing. A lot of it is just skin having been plucked clean. After washing her scabbed over wounds and inspecting them carefully, I applied iodine. Then, I applied an ointment called Smile's PRID, which I usually use after bumblefoot surgery to pack the wound. It is a drawing salve, but it also has wonderful healing properties.

Horace has energy and isn't lethargic, but I forgot to check her temperature. The temperature of the beak tells me if there is a fever or not. A normal beak is cool to tepid. Warm or hot beak means a fever. I think she's going to pull though this assault.

I sure hope you can catch and dispatch what ever got hold of her . It will be back.. That is awesome news about Horace they really are tough little fighters when it comes to wounds and injuries. Thanks for updating.

After applying the Smile's PRID, the wound healing accelerated. PRID really sticks on! Horace was feeling frisky and tried to bathe from the water dispenser, soaking the cage floor with 3 gallons of water for 3 days in a row. I needed to clean the floor and let all the ducks out, even the lame ducks. I took the risk that their disability would get strained walking all the way to the feed tower or the pond. Horace was really happy to get out in the rain.

Here is a picture of her back wound. It looks like a claw mark across the wound. The skin is now mostly healed. She is full of energy and acting normal in the flock. This just needs the feathers to grow back.
Horace healing wound.jpg

I was able to get a picture of the shoulder wound, but Horace refused to stand still for the camera. It looks pretty much closed up.
Horace shoulder wound.jpg

There is still nothing in the traps.

Thanks for your help and advice!

Back
Top Bottom