Duck has really bad foot!!!!!

taylohol11

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 25, 2012
We got 7 ducks and one of them broke it's foot ages ago and my parents wouldn't let me splint it cause they said it would heal by it's self but it didn't and because it was walking on it's other foot so much it now has bumble foot in the other foot it's really sad because my dad doesn't want to spend any money on a duck who is only worth around 8$ so is there any cheap way to deal with this cause a vet costs lots of money i really don't want my dad to kill the duck so if you could help that would be great

if this helps here are some pictures of Ellie

Get Ellie cleaned up in a lukewarm bucket or tub of water deep enough for her to float in. She needs to do this as many times a day as you can do it.

Get some triple antibiotic ointment, without painkiller. Get some Epsom salts. You may already have these things in the house. Dissolve a small handful of Epsom salts in a bowl of warm water. Use a clean rag or paper towel and soak up some of that water, then wrap it around Ellie's leg and foot for about five minutes each foot. Follow up with some ointment on both sides of the foot and up the leg.

Don't let her or any ducks drink that water, it is a laxative.

Do you have poultry vitamins? What have you been feeding?

How is she otherwise? Does she eat pretty well? Does she have a place to bathe every day? How many other ducks do you have?

This is a tough situation, as you know. If you are not able to get her to a vet, or even with a vet, I cannot say for sure you can do everything she needs. But let's try to help her out and not give up.

Last edited:
Amiga that looks like a pretty significant infection in her leg. which must be painful. poor baby. I hope the OP will take your advise and take care of her duck.

Taylolhol,
I would add to what Amiga wrote...she gives you excellent advice for topical cleaning of the infection, that is, on the wound's surface. But that infection looks like it has gone into the duck's joint and could next become systemic, which would kill your duck (of a staph infection, probably).
Long story short, Lucky needs an antibiotic immediately. They sell an antibiotic that will kill staph called oxytetracycline hydrochloride at most pet food stores, in the bird section. They also may sell it at Tractor Supply stores. I need to check on the dosage, but I think that a duck would need 50 mg per kg (that is, 50 mg for every 2.2 lbs your duck weighs) of powder each day, for maybe 10 days. You would dissolve the powder in water and give it to Lucky in a few separate doses per day.
If you can't find the oxytetracycline hydrochloride powder for birds, they may sell it in the fish section of aquarium stores. If you still can't find it, then the best antibiotic alternative that's available at a supplement store is called Silver Biotics, or Sovereign Silver. Either of these silver solutions will kill any bad bacteria that have gotten into Lucky's system. You would give your duck a tablespoon of silver solution dissolved in a couple tablespoons of distilled water, on an empty stomach, every 4-6 hours. Put that solution by her all night to drink from.

Oops, the duck's name is Ellie...don't know why I was thinking "Lucky". One more thing...after the duck's infection clears, it will need that broken leg tended to. Perhaps it could still be taped and splinted. It's not hard to do this, but I hope the leg hasn't set in a bad position already.

her foot has already set it is in a really odd position and has been like that for about 7 weeks and here is your answers from the questions in post two (my one included)
-I don't think we have poultry vitamins
-we have been feeding them with
-she is fine she swims in the water everyday but cannot swim straight
-she eats pretty well and we give her food in the morning and night just incase
-They have a very big pond about as big as a medium sized room and lots of gunera to play in and hide under the ground is quite hard (it's gravel and stepping stones) i see her swimming at least once a day
-we have 7 ducks including Ellie

thanx for all the help my dad says we can buy triple antibiotic ointment without painkiller and Epsom salts as long as it does not cost more than around 10 pounds

her foot has already set it is in a really odd position and has been like that for about 7 weeks and here is your answers from the questions in post two (my one included)
-I don't think we have poultry vitamins
-we have been feeding them with
-she is fine she swims in the water everyday but cannot swim straight
-she eats pretty well and we give her food in the morning and night just incase
-They have a very big pond about as big as a medium sized room and lots of gunera to play in and hide under the ground is quite hard (it's gravel and stepping stones) i see her swimming at least once a day
-we have 7 ducks including Ellie

thanx for all the help my dad says we can buy triple antibiotic ointment without painkiller and Epsom salts as long as it does not cost more than around 10 pounds
Most antibiotics are not that expensive. and we can buy triple antibiotic here for about a dollar at most stores. I hope you can get these asap. since her foot has set wrong, is she able to walk at all? Does your dad realize she is most likely in alot of pain?

my dad realizes that she is in alot of pain that is why he wants to put her out of her misery but i said that if you fix her foot then she will beable to be a very happy duck for the rest of her life so he says he will buy her things to help but as long as it doesn't cost more than 10 pounds

she can walk on it but it looks like it hurts

also i read another post it said this
About a month ago, I picked her up to check her foot, and it was all healed up! I did some research and I think I might have found a "cure", if you want to call it that. She had been out in the snow, and it was REALLY cold. I found out that staph cannot survive in cold, that it thrives in heat. If I ever have this problem again, I'm going to soak their foot in ICE WATER, instead of hot or warm water! Maybe I was helping it thrive by soaking in hot water?

DO YOU THINK I SHOULD DO THIS JUST TO TRY?

Last edited:
my dad realizes that she is in alot of pain that is why he wants to put her out of her misery but i said that if you fix her foot then she will beable to be a very happy duck for the rest of her life so he says he will buy her things to help but as long as it doesn't cost more than 10 pounds

she can walk on it but it looks like it hurts

also i read another post it said this
About a month ago, I picked her up to check her foot, and it was all healed up! I did some research and I think I might have found a "cure", if you want to call it that. She had been out in the snow, and it was REALLY cold. I found out that staph cannot survive in cold, that it thrives in heat. If I ever have this problem again, I'm going to soak their foot in ICE WATER, instead of hot or warm water! Maybe I was helping it thrive by soaking in hot water?

DO YOU THINK I SHOULD DO THIS JUST TO TRY?
I see the poster says hot water which shouldn't have been anyway. nice and warm water. But as far as soaking in cold water you have to be very careful not to soak too long because of causing damage to the skin like freezing it. then you'd have another problem. I'd do more research on this before I do that. but which ever why you decide use the epsom salt [very inexpensive] you'll just have to use warm water to dissolve it then put in the ice water after. Is she eating good? which will give you a clue to if this staph has progressed into her system. How does she look over all weight, eyes clear. Does she seem depressed like very sick and giving up on life? All of these this should play into your decision on whether you shouldn't let dad put an end to her suffering, I know it's hard to lose one. But sometimes it is just what is best for them. Please let us know what you decide to do, we'll be thinking about you.
fl.gif
Really go out today and watch her for a while, sometimes just sitting and watching can give you a clue as to what the next step is. ONe thing for sure is since she is really hurting from this leg I would put her into a pen by herself or with just one more duck so she isn't walking and running on it much and if and when you start treatment she should be kept up also to give it time to heal, and her bedding should be kept as clean as possible too.

she's been eating normally and swimming alright but she does wobble a bit. What i think i will do is try the epsom salts and antibiotics and soaking it in hot water also in cold water for a few minuets only just to see if it works and if that still doesn't work i will start to think about letting my dad put her out of her misery. And i think she may be crying or something cause there is sticky watery stuff outside her eyes heres a picture of her eyes

i felt it today and there are bubbles next to her eyes producing water sticky stuff

Back
Top Bottom