Duck Houses

Thank you so much! :) I'm really excited about doing this pond for my ducks! And I will definitely keep you updated and post pics when I finish! What about plants to put around it?

We have two nearby nurseries, and both have a good pond plant section. There's all sorts of choices, ranging from plants in the pond directly, to those in the bog, to those near the shore. In the pond, I've got a water hyacinth, attached to a weighted string to keep it from being sucked into the filter. In the bog we have irises, mint, horsetail, and then we also have dock.

There's only two concerns you have to worry about with the plants, both related to eating. 1) Is it poisonous to ducks? I do a quick Google search anytime I'm going to get a new plant to put in the pond. But most of the pond plants that one can buy are perfectly harmless to ducks. 2) Will the ducks love it too much? This wasn't a problem when we had just mallards, but our Swedish girls *love* vegetables. The dock is a very pretty, leafy plant that does fabulously in the bog, but since getting the girls, I have to put a big cage over the dock. The previous two dock plants we had in the bog, the girls stripped bare in under 30 minutes. Totally gone. The irises are a bit too big for them to eat, but they like to hide in it, and dabble in the bog underneath it. They love to attack horsetail, and spiral grass, and they also get caged to protect them from the girls. It's gotten much more difficult to keep plants going with the girls. They're necessary for the health of the pond, so it's a bit of a battle to keep them from getting destroyed.

I love this design! We have just ordered 4 Rouens, 4 Blue Swedish, and 4 Golden 300 to be delivered in late October. We are borrowing your design and are placing it on the side of our house away from our neighbors and the North wind. Thanks so much for posting because this made the decision about where to put the housing for our new girls. We currently have a Pekin that wandered into our yard about 1 1/2 months ago that is free raning our front yard. She belonged to a neighbor at the end of the street and had been in our yard about a week when they were driving by and saw her. They decided to let us keep her. Some time with Gabby and a lot of research later and we are expanding. We will move her to the back yard with out new hosing once the new arrivals are old enough. Thanks again for sharing your great design!

These are pictures of my recent duck house. It is covered in 1/2" hardward cloth so predators can't get to my girls. One end has a small dog house that they can enter as they want. There are brick pavers under the dog house and about a foot in front of it. The opposite end has the water - a large plastic feed/water tub that sits on smooth river rock. The center area is sand and I cover the center area and pavers with wood shavings. So far it is working well. I keep their food on the dry side and they have their little pool and an additional water bowl on the wet side. The between area gets pretty wet, but I frequently rake the shavings and they dry quickly. The girls free range outside with my chickens when I am home. (The big door to my chicken coop is on the right in the bottom picture.) The chickens have a separate large enclosed (with hardward cloth) outside run to the right of this picture with a pop door from the coop so they can go in and out at will. Now, if I could just get a way for the water to clean itself!
smile.png

LOL...I am still learning how the site works. I tried to reply to just your post, but alas, it was just added to the end with no frame of reference; so here it is...I love this design! We have just ordered 4 Rouens, 4 Blue Swedish, and 4 Golden 300 to be delivered in late October. We are borrowing your design and are placing it on the side of our house away from our neighbors and the North wind. Thanks so much for posting because this made the decision about where to put the housing for our new girls. We currently have a Pekin that wandered into our yard about 1 1/2 months ago that is free raning our front yard. She belonged to a neighbor at the end of the street and had been in our yard about a week when they were driving by and saw her. They decided to let us keep her. Some time with Gabby and a lot of research later and we are expanding. We will move her to the back yard with out new hosing once the new arrivals are old enough. Thanks again for sharing your great design!

I love this design! We have just ordered 4 Rouens, 4 Blue Swedish, and 4 Golden 300 to be delivered in late October. We are borrowing your design and are placing it on the side of our house away from our neighbors and the North wind. Thanks so much for posting because this made the decision about where to put the housing for our new girls. We currently have a Pekin that wandered into our yard about 1 1/2 months ago that is free raning our front yard. She belonged to a neighbor at the end of the street and had been in our yard about a week when they were driving by and saw her. They decided to let us keep her. Some time with Gabby and a lot of research later and we are expanding. We will move her to the back yard with out new hosing once the new arrivals are old enough. Thanks again for sharing your great design!

@Gabby2016 Welcome to BYC!!

I hope you have the Pekin in safe housing at night.

Please post pics of your new lil ones when they arrive.

@Gabby2016 Welcome to BYC!!

I hope you have the Pekin in safe housing at night.

Please post pics of your new lil ones when they arrive.
Yes. The neighbors that she belonged to brought me the pool and housing she and her companion were using. Her companion disappeared out of their yard as well, but none of us have been able to locate her in the neighborhood. I will post some pics of her and the ducklings when they arrive. Thanks again!

Yes. The neighbors that she belonged to brought me the pool and housing she and her companion were using. Her companion disappeared out of their yard as well, but none of us have been able to locate her in the neighborhood. I will post some pics of her and the ducklings when they arrive. Thanks again!
More than likely a pred got the other one. Duck dinner is high on the menu for all preds even domestic dogs. I am glad she has a good home and safe housing it's very important if we plan on keeping them a long time. Look forward to seeing them all.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom