Duck Houses

There are a number of safe plants for growing on the pen fencing.

Double-check, but I believe that nasturtiums are good - and pretty - I have grown cucumber on the duck pen fence. If you want something more permanent, consider hardy kiwi - it will need a very sturdy fence - it can get thick and heavy.

I forget your garden zone, but scuppernong or muscadine vines might be nice.

You might be able to plant a dwarf weeping mulberry near enough to the pen and train the weeping branches like an espalier, or just across the top of the pen.

I finally gave in & put water in their pool inside of the pin! Floss finally has the majority of her feathers back & the whether has been pretty warm day & night. So it's no longer a "giant nest" & they are loving it this evening!

I have been loving this tread! Relatively new to ducks and chicks but did way more research beforehand with the chicks. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to ducks. What is the best flooring in their houses if you don't have them on the ground? I saw somewhere where they used hardware cloth but then I read somewhere else that it causes foot problems. Does anyone have any experience with that?

I have been loving this tread! Relatively new to ducks and chicks but did way more research beforehand with the chicks. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to ducks. What is the best flooring in their houses if you don't have them on the ground? I saw somewhere where they used hardware cloth but then I read somewhere else that it causes foot problems. Does anyone have any experience with that?

You want something easy to clean!!!!!! & Straw seems to cause bumblefoot in my experience. Indoor/outdoor carpet & hay/pine chips/grass is your best bet!!

I switched out the sand (which was on top of crushed limestone) for round pea gravel. The sand would never dry. The pea gravel dries awesome and drains even better! I can just hose off the rocks and the poop disappears. The smell is also gone. I'm so impressed!

I was told if you can walk on it without any pain, it is good for your ducks. I tested it out barefoot and it was just fine - no "ouch" "ooh" and "yow".

Great idea, thank you for posting this.

Back
Top Bottom