Duck on Metacam

Ridekool

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
Douglas, Ontario
Hi, long time lurker :)
I have a 'scovy hen that was steped on by one of the horses - more likely run over. She's been on Penicilin for 4 days and Metacam for 3 (had to look up if she could have it) So my question is, how long can she stay on Metacam? She's lucky to be alive and I figure it'll be spring before her wounds are fully healed. She is eating/drinking, can move and is much pekier then what she was on Sunday.

Hi, long time lurker
smile.png

I have a 'scovy hen that was steped on by one of the horses - more likely run over. She's been on Penicilin for 4 days and Metacam for 3 (had to look up if she could have it) So my question is, how long can she stay on Metacam? She's lucky to be alive and I figure it'll be spring before her wounds are fully healed. She is eating/drinking, can move and is much pekier then what she was on Sunday.
I have no idea about the Metacam but glad to hear she is doing better, they are amazing creatures. I would keep her where she doesn't have to move around to much and maybe can get some water therapy, I know this time of year it's cold most places but a nice warm bath would help alot I am thinking. Help her build her muscles back up. As far as the Metacam you maybe able to google it and get some info.And
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks! She does have space to walk around should she choose to (she does a little) She's also in the middle of a molt which is prob'ly why she couldn't get out of the horses way. When her wing feathers come in I'll bring her in the house and see if she wants a bath. I gave her the last shot of Penicillin last night and more Metacam. She's put the Metacam and lack of pain together :) Smart duck!

Thanks! She does have space to walk around should she choose to (she does a little) She's also in the middle of a molt which is prob'ly why she couldn't get out of the horses way. When her wing feathers come in I'll bring her in the house and see if she wants a bath. I gave her the last shot of Penicillin last night and more Metacam. She's put the Metacam and lack of pain together :) Smart duck!
Please keep us updated on how she is doing.

Thank you! I was able to find one thread that Google brought up where a duck was on Metacam for a month. Another thread had a duck on it for life due to arthritis. For now I'll keep her on it for another couple of weeks and see how she is. I trimed some down feathers that her dressing was pulling on yesterday. Not a happy duck about it but she seemed a bit happier afterwards. One wound is starting to heal up already and the big wound on her back looks better around the edges though she still has months of recovery.
Thankfully the flies are gone.

Thank you! I was able to find one thread that Google brought up where a duck was on Metacam for a month. Another thread had a duck on it for life due to arthritis. For now I'll keep her on it for another couple of weeks and see how she is. I trimed some down feathers that her dressing was pulling on yesterday. Not a happy duck about it but she seemed a bit happier afterwards. One wound is starting to heal up already and the big wound on her back looks better around the edges though she still has months of recovery.
Thankfully the flies are gone.
Thats for sure about the flies they can sure wreck havoc on an open wound. Glad to hear she is healing well.

No problem! There is a local poultry website for Ontario and I can pm you the link if you'd like. I haven't had a whole lot of experience with duck injuries thank goodness!
I hope your duck is doing well
smile.png

Yes, please PM me the site :)
This is my first serious duck injury (thankfully) I guess all the small ones the chickens have got over the years were just to get me ready :/ I changed her dressing last night and was very surprised at how much she's healed!! Thank god for Johnson & Johnson, they have the best "band aids"...can't remember the name of the product right now...

Hi!

Metacam is a very strong pain killer and I would say that there are treatments less radical but as effective - if you are using Metacam the problem is considered to be VERY serious and not recommended for long term problems - do read up on this as side effects can result in even major difficulties for your duck(s)

Best wishes

Suzie

Back
Top Bottom