Duck on Metacam

Ridekool

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
Douglas, Ontario
Hi, long time lurker :)
I have a 'scovy hen that was steped on by one of the horses - more likely run over. She's been on Penicilin for 4 days and Metacam for 3 (had to look up if she could have it) So my question is, how long can she stay on Metacam? She's lucky to be alive and I figure it'll be spring before her wounds are fully healed. She is eating/drinking, can move and is much pekier then what she was on Sunday.

@Y-Knot , email this to your vet:

Pharmacokinetics and Egg Residues of Meloxicam After Multiple Day Oral Dosing in Domestic Chickens.

Souza MJ, Bailey J, White M, Gordon K, Gerhardt L, Cox SK.
Abstract
With increased ownership of backyard poultry, veterinarians must treat these birds appropriately and take into consideration drug withdrawal times for eggs meant for consumption. Few studies have examined the pharmacokinetics or egg residues for medications commonly used in avian medicine. This study determined the pharmacokinetics of meloxicam in domestic chickens (n = 8) after oral dosing at 1 mg/kg q12h for a total of 9 doses (5 days). Additionally, the presence of meloxicam residues in eggs was determined. The terminal half-life, maximum concentration, and time to maximum concentration were 3.02 ± 1.15 hours, 7.14 ± 1.54 μg/mL, and 1.6 ± 0.52 hours, respectively. No drug was detected in yolks and whites after 8 days and 3 days, respectively. On the basis of these results, a 2-week withdrawal time should be adequate to avoid drug residues in eggs meant for consumption.
Source:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29698068

Pharmacokinetics and egg residues after oral administration of a single dose of meloxicam in domestic chickens (Gallus domesticus).
Souza MJ, Bergman JB, White MS, Gordon KI, Gerhardt LE, Cox SK.
Abstract
OBJECTIVE To determine the pharmacokinetics of meloxicam in domestic hens and duration and quantity of drug residues in their eggs following PO administration of a single dose (1 mg of meloxicam/kg). ANIMALS 8 healthy adult White Leghorn hens. PROCEDURES Hens were administered 1 mg of meloxicam/kg PO once. A blood sample was collected immediately before and at intervals up to 48 hours after drug administration. The hens' eggs were collected for 3 weeks after drug administration. Samples of the hens' plasma, egg whites (albumen), and egg yolks were analyzed by high-performance liquid chromatography. RESULTS The half-life, maximum concentration, and time to maximum concentration of meloxicam in plasma samples were 2.8 hours, 7.21 μg/mL, and 2 hours, respectively. Following meloxicam administration, the drug was not detected after 4 days in egg whites and after 8 days in egg yolks. CONCLUSIONS AND CLINICAL RELEVANCE Results indicated that meloxicam administered at a dose of 1 mg/kg PO in chickens appears to maintain plasma concentrations equivalent to those reported to be therapeutic for humans for 12 hours. The egg residue data may be used to aid establishment of appropriate drug withdrawal time recommendations.
Source:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28738003

Thank you all for your replies. Maybe I don't have to worry about giving her that medication after all.
It looks like she is doing better. When I let her out of the dog crate this morning she went out ate a little duck food and drank water. She also checked out some lettuce. I went and found her a couple earthworms and when I threw those in the pen she was very pleased. Considering she didn't seem to care about anything a few days ago I'm thinking she may be turning a corner.

She is still limping a lot and I don't think that will ever completely go away. The lady who does duck rehab said that ducks are slow healers and that it will take awhile to see a lot of improvement but that her eating and drinking are a real plus. She said to give her what she wants in order to keep her eating. I am supposed to send her a couple photos of her foot. She's helping me rehab my own duck after I've adopted a few of her rehabbed ducks.

I'll keep you all up to date on her improvement.

Thanks, Yvette, Winchester and the rest of the mob

My duck got into our back yard and mauled by my dog. The vet checked her out and prescribed anti-biotics but not pain meds. A duck rehabber said I should get the Metacam. The vet was okay with that but said I could never eat her eggs again. I sell the eggs and since the ducks don't mark their eggs with a personal barcode identifying them it might be difficult to tell them apart. I am not going to separate her the rest of her life. I was also told that it may cause her to lose her appetite. She already isn't eating so I am not sure what I ought to do. I told them to keep the medication in her file but that I wouldn't take them home until I was sure.
Could anyone give me some input?
Thanks. Winchester and I need advice and experience

That dog is in big trouble. Winchester is a my husband's favorite.

When a vet says you can never eat the eggs again that's just a cover you butt statement. Surely after some amount of time the eggs will be safe to eat, but I don't know what that amount of time is. Maybe you could ask your vet if FARAD has a recommended withdrawal time.
http://www.farad.org

When a vet says you can never eat the eggs again that's just a cover you butt statement. Surely after some amount of time the eggs will be safe to eat, but I don't know what that amount of time is. Maybe you could ask your vet if FARAD has a recommended withdrawal time.
http://www.farad.org

I had this exact conversation with FARAD about one of our ducks. Let me see if I can dig it up, as I don't want to post inaccurate information.

I had this exact conversation with FARAD about one of our ducks. Let me see if I can dig it up, as I don't want to post inaccurate information.

I was wrong. While Lucy was taking Metacam as well at the time, I actually communicated with FARAD about the Clavamox she was taking. Here is how I summarized that conversation: "FARAD recommends observing an egg discard period of 6-8 weeks for layers prescribed Clavamox. They are quick to add that different variables of a case of extra-label drug use may influence their recommendations in different ways, as duration, dose, etc. may vary. We may ask our vet to submit the form through the FARAD website." Sorry. Not very helpful. We waited eight weeks.

Hi, long time lurker
smile.png

I have a 'scovy hen that was steped on by one of the horses - more likely run over. She's been on Penicilin for 4 days and Metacam for 3 (had to look up if she could have it) So my question is, how long can she stay on Metacam? She's lucky to be alive and I figure it'll be spring before her wounds are fully healed. She is eating/drinking, can move and is much pekier then what she was on Sunday.
I have no idea about the Metacam but glad to hear she is doing better, they are amazing creatures. I would keep her where she doesn't have to move around to much and maybe can get some water therapy, I know this time of year it's cold most places but a nice warm bath would help alot I am thinking. Help her build her muscles back up. As far as the Metacam you maybe able to google it and get some info.And
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom