Duck sick - not eating or drinking and not walk very much

JohnsKEB

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 21, 2015
My duck is sick a few days ago she stopped eating and drinking and wasn't walking just sitting! She walks a little now but not much. She keeps her wings at her side and her beak has red rash by the looks of it. Really concerned. Help please!!!

My duck is sick a few days ago she stopped eating and drinking and wasn't walking just sitting! She walks a little now but not much. She keeps her wings at her side and her beak has red rash by the looks of it. Really concerned. Help please!!!
Is she laying eggs? red rash never heard of this what part of the country are you in? she could be egg bound have an infection. what do you feed her and are there others in your flock and are they showing symptoms? Is it possible to see a vet?

Sounds like she has an infection and really needs to see a vet. Probably dehydrated, too, and a vet can get fluids into a duck quickly.

If there is no way to get to a vet, I would consider starting her on antibiotics - oral - a.s.a.p. Give her something like Poultry Nutri-Drench in her water to help get her some nutrition. You may need to trickle it onto her bill - see if she will swallow it.

Hi Lydia, No she is not laying at the moment. We are in Brisbane, Australia. We feed her laying pellets and kitchen scraps. She also likes grass and insects. We have 9 chickens and 3 dusck (2 muscovy and 1 perkin) but they are all fine.

Last night she started to drink thank goodness!!! We have been adding a little stemaide to the water to help with dehydration. We have been to a bird vet before but he was little help!

Here, feed stores sell antibiotics. It is something to consider. Parasites can also cause problems, and medicine for that can be found at feed stores.

Wondering if @Lacrystol has any insights.

Hi Lydia, No she is not laying at the moment. We are in Brisbane, Australia. We feed her laying pellets and kitchen scraps. She also likes grass and insects. We have 9 chickens and 3 dusck (2 muscovy and 1 perkin) but they are all fine.

Last night she started to drink thank goodness!!! We have been adding a little stemaide to the water to help with dehydration. We have been to a bird vet before but he was little help!

Do you know when she laid last, ducks can get egg bound so that could be one possibility I'd look at her vent if it's pulsating she could be egg bound I had one last year showed no symptoms until day before she died and don't want to scare you but if egg bound it's very serious. Sometimes you can put them into a nice warm bath and let them float it can help them relax and pass the egg, This could also be peritonitis which is when eggs fall into body cavitiy and cause infection which can also be fatal she would need to be on an antibiotic asap. Or it could be another type of infection bacterial, you know process of elimination when we don't know but getting her to drink is good we don't want her dehydrated.What is stemaide some kind of electrolytes? Keep us up to date on how she is doing.

She is not much better unfortunately - walking around but still only drinking a little. We got her some antibiotics and she starts on them today. Forced her to eat some pellets out of the water so hopefully she will be on the mend soon! Thanks for your support!

Last edited:
She is not much better unfortunately - walking around but still only drinking a little. We got her some antibiotics and she starts on them today. Forced her to eat some pellets out of the water so hopefully she will be on the mend soon! Thanks for your support!
I'm glad you got her started on antibiotics hopefully its not too late. Please be careful she doesn't get food down into her air sacs she could get pneumonia. Keep us posted please.

Fingers crossed. Does losing feathers mean anything? They tend to do it a lot I have noticed not sure if it's a coincidence.

Back
Top Bottom