Duck sick - not eating or drinking and not walk very much

Losing feathers can be molt some of mine are losing a few nothing like in the fall though when they went through their big molt. another thing can be botulism could she have eaten anything rotting or gotten into stagnate water? anything dead? if you think she may have there are flushes you can use to clean out her system. Botulism is also called limber neck because they will lose control of their neck muscles, it can be fatal also.
How is she today other than losing some feathers?also moldy feed can cause it.

link to flushes they have to be followed to the T if you decide she could have eaten something that's made her sick. I have only used the activated charcoal it can be found in the antacid isle at most pharmacies or Walmart.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

Last edited:
Hi Lydia, We ruled out Botulism because she still has good use of her neck. She is weak but she can move her neck freely and as desired.It's summer here at the moment so it could just be molting .... Will check in on her this afternoon and let you know how she is.

Hi Lydia, We ruled out Botulism because she still has good use of her neck. She is weak but she can move her neck freely and as desired.It's summer here at the moment so it could just be molting .... Will check in on her this afternoon and let you know how she is.
Well thank goodness for that. Okay so your in summer enjoy, we're really cold.
Hope you find her feeling better too.

The rash concerns me, doesn't sound egg bound because if it was she would not be around, usually that affects them with in 24 to 48 hours.

Can you send a pic of the rash? I'm wondering if she's having an allergic reaction to something, you said kitchen scraps. Perhaps she got a hold of some mold? Perhaps she ate a piece of onion very toxic for ducks.

I don't think anitbotics is going to help much. Have you seen any results since you gave her some and what exactly are you treating her with the Antibotics?

Ducks are very bad at showing signs of sickiness so you have a great advantage..

I'm wondering too if she ate something poisionous? Although I don't think she would still be walking around if that was the case. I would be locking her up for a couple of days, to see if the rash goes away. Perhaps she's free ranging and something in the yard has affected her.. Locking her up so that she can't roam around to see if that rash goes away would be one way to tell.

She's looking much better this morning! She was out with the other chooks and ducks eating dry pellets and water all by herself!

She's looking much better this morning! She was out with the other chooks and ducks eating dry pellets and water all by herself!
That's awesome, how long has she been on the antibiotic now? what ever you do don't stop it until she has had the full amount of days prescribed.
I know your relieved
smile.png

No the rash is still there but I am hoping it's just spots that I never noticed before.

Back
Top Bottom