Duck with Bumblefoot (Warning Viewer Discretion Is Advised)

If they can't get anything out do you think continuing to soak will help it resolve on it's own along with the antibotic? Kathy? 

@DiamondSwan
   Your going to have to find a way to get that pill down his throat with out it going down the wrong hole. Maybe crushing it and hiding it in something he likes real well.

I am so glad you found what was causing the problem. Bless his heart for being such a good boy, drakes really are special.

That's what the vet told us to do for the dog. I think a whole pill is too much though.

Aw, I don't have any experience with the Keflex- I hope casportpony can find confirmation soon.
hugs.gif

Just looked it up in one book and that book has a range listed. The most listed is 45mg per *pound* 2-4 times a day, which is pretty close to what my vet prescribed for one of mine.

So yes, one 500mg capsule is way too much for this duck.

-Kathy

Just looked it up in one book and that book has a range listed. The most listed is 45mg per *pound* 2-4 times a day, which is pretty close to what my vet prescribed for one of mine.

-Kathy
How best to give it since it is in pill form ? @casportpony

Last edited:

-Kathy

How best to give it since it is in pill form ?  @casportpony

Dosing will be tricky because it's a capsule, I think, and capsules a full of little bits. If I've done my math correctly, dose for her should be 1/3 capsule twice a day for 7-10 or 14 days. Can't remember what the vet told me.

-Kathy

Disclaimer: I have no medical training and the information I have given is just my best guess based on the one time I used it and the dosing information in the book "Clinical Avian Medicine".

-Kathy

Dosing will be tricky because it's a capsule, I think, and capsules a full of little bits. If I've done my math correctly, dose for her should be 1/3 capsule twice a day for 7-10 or 14 days. Can't remember what the vet told me.

-Kathy

How did you give it to your duck?

Mine was a bigger bird, and we had 250mg capsules, so we just gave her a capsule. You have to open a capsule, divide it as best you can into three piles, then find a way to get the one of the piles into your duck.

Maybe call a pharmacy and ask if they have empty capsules that you can buy.

Make sense?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom