Duck with Bumblefoot (Warning Viewer Discretion Is Advised)

Mine was a bigger bird, and we had 250mg capsules, so we just gave her a capsule. You have to open a capsule, divide it as best you can into three piles, then find a way to get the one of the piles into your duck.

Maybe call a pharmacy and ask if they have empty capsules that you can buy.

Make sense?

-Kathy

I think a pill would be too big for him to swallow. I've been it to him with a little bit of water and he drinks that just fine. Will it be ok if I just do that?

Ok, thank you all for your help! I'll keep you guys updated and take daily photos!
smile.png
That's great that he is taking his meds in his water. Look forward to updates!!

I read some threads about infected feet and I'm kinda worried because some people had to cut into the foot to drain the infection. I really, really, want to avoid that. His foot is still really puffy and if it needs to be drained I don't want to wait too long. I'm going to make another thread directing it here.

I read some threads about infected feet and I'm kinda worried because some people had to cut into the foot to drain the infection. I really, really, want to avoid that. His foot is still really puffy and if it needs to be drained I don't want to wait too long. I'm going to make another thread directing it here.

It's been my experience that any animal with an abscess or pus pocket needs to have the abscess lanced to remove the pus. Antibiotics alone won't usually treat it.

If you decide to lance it yourself, make sure you have chlorhexadine or betadine, a sterile scalpel, sterile gauze, etc.

-Kathy

Would you attempt to drain yourself? swelling maybe just from trauma of the thing being in the foot them the trauma of you getting it out?? I hope that is all it is. still soaking in Epsom salt and warm water? How much ES to water are you using?

Would you attempt to drain yourself? swelling maybe just from trauma of the thing being in the foot them the trauma of you getting it out?? I hope that is all it is. still soaking in Epsom salt and warm water? How much ES to water are you using?

I've been using a cup of ES to half a gallon of warm water. I'll drain it myself if I absolutely have to, but I'm still a little unsure. I don't want to wait too long if it has to be drained, and I don't want to cut into his foot if it's pointless.

I don't know if this helps but when we dug out the thing that was stuck in his foot, it didn't bleed and stringy tissue came out.
Do you know anyone in the medical field who could look at his foot? I'm with you about not cutting if not necessary but this is when someone who knows what to look for comes in to play. What the stringy tissue could have been is pus poultry don't have pus like humans it is thick and cheesey looking.

Back
Top Bottom