Duckling not acting right

Thanks for the kind words. This really has been traumatizing. I have a special needs dog who is in remission (knock on wood) from immune mediated encephalitis so this is all quite triggering.

I hope for her and all her friends sakes (and my own sanity) this helps her out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words. This really has been traumatizing. I have a special needs dog who is in remission (knock on wood) from immune mediated encephalitis so this is all quite triggering.

I hope for her and all her friends sakes (and my own sanity) this helps her out.
Did the vet give you any idea how long it would take before you see no seizures?

What is immune medicated encephalitis ? if you don't mind me asking.

Remission is a good thing hope he continues along that path.
hugs.gif

Did the vet give you any idea how long it would take before you see no seizures?

What is immune medicated encephalitis ? if you don't mind me asking.

Remission is a good thing hope he continues along that path.  :hugs

The meds can take two weeks to stabilize. They are going to call to check in with me to see how she is doing.

Immune mediated encephalitis is when the dogs immune system attacks their brain. It causes incoordination, seizures, and without treatment death. She has been in remission for over a year
1f60a.png
Thanks for the encouragement.

The meds can take two weeks to stabilize. They are going to call to check in with me to see how she is doing.

Immune mediated encephalitis is when the dogs immune system attacks their brain. It causes incoordination, seizures, and without treatment death. She has been in remission for over a year
1f60a.png
Thanks for the encouragement.
Wow I never heard of something like that. Your animals are very blessed to have you caring for them.

I look forward to hearing how she is doing too, sure hope it will be positive for her and you.

Wow I never heard of something like that. Your animals are very blessed to have you caring for them.

I look forward to hearing how she is doing too, sure hope it will be positive for her and you. 

I'm looking for all the positives.
1f609.png

This morning B seemed to snap-to a bit quicker. She is often worse in the morning appearing initially dazed and slow often following the other ducks around but not interested in food. Today she was rather alert and started eating within an hour of being let out. She's only been on meds for about 36 hours so hopefully this is a positive sign!

Last edited:
I'm looking for all the positives.
1f609.png

This morning B seemed to snap-to a bit quicker. She is often worse in the morning appearing initially dazed and slow often following the other ducks around but not interested in food. Today she was rather alert and started eating within an hour of being let out. She's only been on meds for about 36 hours so hopefully this is a positive sign!
Lets believe this is a positive sign. Hopefully this are looking up for her. I'm praying so.
smile.png

Any updates?
I have a little two week old that I believe is having seizures. I think it is epilepsy as well. seeing as her duck mates are all perfectly fine . She is eating and drinking fine and after a seizure she recovers for about 30 seconds then is back to her old self.
is the phenobarbital an over the counter drug or do you need a prescription? how is the dosage determined? by weight?

Any updates?
I have a little two week old that I believe is having seizures. I think it is epilepsy as well. seeing as her duck mates are all perfectly fine . She is eating and drinking fine and after a seizure she recovers for about 30 seconds then is back to her old self.
is the phenobarbital an over the counter drug or do you need a prescription? how is the dosage determined? by weight?
@MandBducks

@MandBducks

Any updates?

So sorry to hear about your duckling! B is doing well so far on the phenobarbital. The vet determined the dosage based on weight. You do need a prescription as it is a controlled substance and highly regulated.

I did read your post and your ducks seizures sound different than how B's presented. B's are almost like partial seizures which basically means she is fully awake and does not lose consciousness while seizing.

If you could get your little one to a vet it would be ideal. Our vet only charged for the visit and blood work and then sent our script out as it is cheaper that way.

Back
Top Bottom