Duckling Rescue

Bollmash

Chirping
Jan 24, 2017
Dallas, Texas
My neighbor bought 2 ducklings for her daughters 2nd birthday, against all of my advice. I have 4, 3 week old chicks of my own and am now having to try and split the heat lamp on both of them. One of the ducklings seems an inch away from death, probably becuase of toddlers grabbing at it. It seems to have something wrong with its leg, it won’t stand. I’ve never had ducks, I don’t know what to do. Please help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    503.7 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 17
My neighbor bought 2 ducklings for her daughters 2nd birthday, against all of my advice. I have 4, 3 week old chicks of my own and am now having to try and split the heat lamp on both of them. One of the ducklings seems an inch away from death, probably becuase of toddlers grabbing at it. It seems to have something wrong with its leg, it won’t stand. I’ve never had ducks, I don’t know what to do. Please help.
I wouldn’t worry about the leg for now. Take it out of the brooder and put it on a heating pad if you have one or a warm blanket. Hold it to make sure it doesn’t get too hot or cold. Take a syringe and give it some water. If it take the water you can try yogurt. I have always had good luck with Keifer which is an active probiotic. If it perks up give it some scrambled egg yolk. Good luck and keep us posted.

I wouldn’t worry about the leg for now. Take it out of the brooder and put it on a heating pad if you have one or a warm blanket. Hold it to make sure it doesn’t get too hot or cold. Take a syringe and give it some water. If it take the water you can try yogurt. I have always had good luck with Keifer which is an active probiotic. If it perks up give it some scrambled egg yolk. Good luck and keep us posted.
I moved him closer to the water and it did begin drinking, the water has electrolytes and probiotics. He has seemed to perk up a bit. I will kee you posted. Thanks so much.

I moved him closer to the water and it did begin drinking, the water has electrolytes and probiotics. He has seemed to perk up a bit. I will kee you posted. Thanks so much.

That’s so good to hear. Once he gets stronger you can try to fix his leg. Is it just splayed?

That’s so good to hear. Once he gets stronger you can try to fix his leg. Is it just splayed?
I’m not quite sure. He did stand up and just stood there for a bit. He walked a couple of steps (albeit very small and unbalanced) towards the food. The other duckling seems fine. Is there anything I should know about keeping ducklings though? I’m new to chickens let alone ducks!

I’m not quite sure. He did stand up and just stood there for a bit. He walked a couple of steps (albeit very small and unbalanced) towards the food. The other duckling seems fine. Is there anything I should know about keeping ducklings though? I’m new to chickens let alone ducks!

It might just be because he is weak from being sick. Keep an eye on it and see it it gets better as he gets stronger. I don’t think there is anything specific to ducks that you need to know. They are usually easier to keep than chicks in my opinion.

Ducklings have different dietary needs and need deeper water containers too. Possibly its deficient in niacin or vitamin B..Brewers yeast is needed ..
I never House Ducklings with Chicks. Ducklings also don't need as much heat as Chickens ..

Attachments

• 4754046B-8399-4130-91EF-8D3854F39C20.jpeg
    4754046B-8399-4130-91EF-8D3854F39C20.jpeg
    764.1 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom