Duckling with bill injury

Milkywayranchsc

Chirping
Feb 10, 2019
image.jpg
Welsh harlquin duckling injured her bill between her nostrils at hatch,presumably with her toenail. At 4 days old, she now has shrunken nostrils, causing her to breath through her mouth. And, her bottom mandible is growing faster than the top, causing an underbite. I found an older thread about a duckling with similar issue, but there was no update as to what was done or if the duckling survived. So, I’m here looking for more info. She is a cutie and I want her to thrive.

Last edited:
Could you post a picture so we can see the injury? As much as I love animals and want to save all of them, I think that putting her down might be the best option if she struggles to breath every day. Does she eat fine?

Please only give advice if you are familiar with this situation. If you have seen it, you know what I’m talking about.

Last edited:
She is active, eating, drinking and pooping normally. Only issue is what I described above.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 17
I had one while it was pipped, and it’s bill was thru the pip hole, the ones that had already hatched rubbed a hole thru it’s bill. Surprisingly, the hole closed up within a week (maybe less). Their bills are very soft at first. I’d give it a little time and see how it grows. We’ve seen ones with chunks out of the side regrow, all kinds of things can happen. As long as it is eating and drinking without too much trouble, I’d give it some time. If it’s having trouble until it heals, you may have to make different accommodations, like trying different waterers or something.

I had one while it was pipped, and it’s bill was thru the pip hole, the ones that had already hatched rubbed a hole thru it’s bill. Surprisingly, the hole closed up within a week (maybe less). Their bills are very soft at first. I’d give it a little time and see how it grows. We’ve seen ones with chunks out of the side regrow, all kinds of things can happen. As long as it is eating and drinking without too much trouble, I’d give it some time. If it’s having trouble until it heals, you may have to make different accommodations, like trying different waterers or something.
Thank you. Did your ducklings bill grow normally after it healed?

My biggest concern right now is her nostrils being pinched closed, and having to breath through her mouth.

Thank you. Did your ducklings bill grow normally after it healed?

My biggest concern right now is her nostrils being pinched closed, and having to breath through her mouth.

That might be how mine got hurt to, or by her own toe nail. She had her bill and a foot out her pip hole.

Last edited:
Have you seen this thread:
Post #7 of 11 This particularly poster posts in a few threads about her duck.
Thank you. That does look kind of similar, but my ducklings bill is not curved up, yet anyway. I hope it doesn’t get worse. My biggest worry is about her nostrils, and having to breath through her mouth. I have not yet found any info on if that will resolve or if there is anything I can do to help her.

Back
Top Bottom