duckling's eye is watering

BarnSweet

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Kenosha county, Wisconsin
~2 week old duckling. Eye looks like it doesn't have "down" around it and is watery. Doesn't look like anything's in the eye.
duckling lives w/another duck and two chicks in a cage brooder in the house right now, so don't think it "caught" anything.

Is there anything otc that can be used or is just plain water or sterile eye drops best?
I tried to search site, but there's lots of posts w/eye and duck so too many for me to sift thru (not sure how to search more specific).

I'm posting for a friend who is "website challenged", so sorry if it takes me a while to reply as I have to go thru her. She did raise a couple of ducks and half dozen chicks last year (successfully
smile.png
), so not a complete newbie to fowl.
I have asked her to take a pic, but she's kinda challenged that way, also
wink.png
. Has to wait for her dh to get home to download.
She lives in Cali. and I'm in Wisc. so I can't just stop by to help, lol.

Thanks for any "direction" to a previous post or experience you have.

Edit, I just saw this post, from yesterday:
have used Penicillin, Tylan, Oxytetracycline, Baytril and Cephalexin on them. There are others too that are safe for ducks. Chloramphenicol eye ointment would be best for an eye infection

I don't hink her ducks eye is as bad as the thread w/the duckling (that came w/bad eye gunk and is spreading to the other duckling) but I will give her this information.
If anyone has any other ideas, please post.

Last edited:
Have her try flushing it out with saline solution and maybe put some terramycin ointment on it.
Is it possible one of the chicks pecked it?

So, today, the eye was crusty. She's taken a pic and I'll post when I can. (it does not look as gunky as that other duck from yesterday's thread).

I told her the saline and terramycin (she has horses, dogs and cats, too) and I think might have terramycin ophthalmic ointment on hand.

Thanks for the tip. I'll be back w/a pic when I can. I'm prett sure she put magnifiers on and looded at eye for cornea damage. She didn't say anything about a scratch.

That does not look bad at all. There are a gazillion eye ointments on the market that will work for ducks, but I would really not go that route for something that minor, just my opinion. Two things to consider, ducklings need to be able to clean their heads and faces, so that is probably part of the problem. They also seem to be FAR more susceptible to eye infections/irritations than other types of poultry, even under the best of circumstances. I have noticed that Runners in particular get eye irritation a lot, but other breeds can as well.

big_smile.png
Thanks, ya know how "mother hens" worry. She does have a waterer that they can dunk their heads into, too. I think she's letting them swim in the tub a little, too (she did w/her two Pekin's last spring).

The clear eyes stuff is something the vet gave her for her horse. But, it's pretty basic stuff, mostly just sterile saline w/boric acid. She's just going to use the "wash' on it until it looks better.
My old vet used to say, you can treat it and it'll get better in 10 day or you can leave it be and it'll get better in 10 days, lol.

That duckling's a Khaki Campbell.

Guess I was lucky w/my five last spring (two runners, rouen, blue Swede and Cayuga). No problems w/eyes or feet.
Trying to stay away from TSC and Farm & Fleet during "peep" season.

Back
Top Bottom