Ducklings + Goslings

I ordered a pair of Buff Africans from Johnson's Waterfowl. They came from Wisconson happy and healthy. I'm pretty sure the one pictured above is my gander. We finally decided on some names and we're going with Gilbert and Gloria, the Godfrey's.

They're pretty awesome! I'm really liking the geese as well, this is my first year getting them . As goslings they are super adorable and personable. I wasn't sure what mine are, and thought they looked similar.... How dry do your ducks area stay with the waterer elevated like that? Mine seem to soak through all the flakes even if I just changed it 10 minutes ago. Mine are elevated on 3/4 inch bricks though....

The duck area gets totally soaked, day in and day out. That's why I've put them in the pet carrier. I dump it nightly and sprinkle bedding on top. Then, I change it all out weekly. Its a process. The geese are much less messy. It might just be that there's only two compared to the thirteen ducks. Your gosling looks just like the one I'm considering the female. She's much more standoffish but hates seeing us leave. I'm positive I'll be raising more next year.

I'm happy for you. She's a very pretty young bird (if it's a she). What are your plans for her or will she just be a pet. I bought mine in hopes that a pair of large birds out with my ducks might deter some smaller, would-be predators. I don't think they'll fight anything off but hopefully their size does the trick for things smaller than a fox. After raising these little goslings, they've nearly become my pride and joy.

Same here, she will go outside with all my ducks (might need a bigger coop at this point) and hopefully deter some animals from snooping around. But I also have four more goslings that will join her once they are big enough. They're only a month behind but in raising poultry that's a big difference. Although she's so mellow she allows them around. Of course I keep a close eye on her in case but she hasn't tried anything.

I have a trio of adult Embden geese and a number of ducks and chickens. When I first got the geese everybody got along nicely but when we got to mating season the gander was extremely aggressive towards my drakes in particular so I had to separate them. The gander has protected their goslings from my German Shepherd, but my Shepherd is reasonably well behaved. I sincerely doubt a fox would be very impressed. The trio of adults to protect their goslings but I know that I'm taking a chance.

D'ya think if there were alot of geese they'd be protection against a fox?
I was thinking about getting a couple along with the ducks for protection, but I learned that geese aren't the best layers so they wouldn't be cost-effective.
sad.png

What I have heard is that strong barriers and or electric wire or netting is the only effective protection from foxes. But I'm sure others will tell you about their experiences. I've also been told by neighbors that unprotected poultry may be fine for years until a fox, raccoon or fisher discovers them at which point there are no more poultry.

Hm. Well, I guess the most a goose could do in that area is to sound the alarm, which I hear they're good at doing. I've thought about electric wire and I guess I should look into it because a fox does know I have poultry!

Back
Top Bottom