Ducklings legs are messed up

Duckymomma821

Hatching
Mar 25, 2016

Hi, I am new to duck raising.. My husband and I bought 4 ducklings from Tractor Supply on the 17th.. Well everything was going good and 2 days ago I realize one of the babies could not walk. I started him on niacin and bought a supplement for his food also..

I was just wondering now many days till he shows signs of improvement. And if it is some other leg issue.

I've raised other varieties of birds, but not ducklings, however, one of my doves had a similar issue after "Mom" spent too much time sitting on her. Funny as it sounds, and looked- the vet fitted her with a tiny leg splint, which stayed on for a couple of weeks and this corrected the problem. It may be worth a try with your duckling.

Ducklings regularly have leg problems related to B vitamin deficiency.

The recommendation is to give 100 to 150 mg plain niacin (not no-flush, not timed release) per gallon of drinking water for 8 weeks or so.

Some folks use B Complex (using niacin, B3 levels for dosage). Some put a tablespoon of brewer's yeast (not baking yeast, not wine making yeast) per cup of food the first 2 or 3 months.

Improvement is often noticed within a week or so.

Chick starter doesn't have as much B as many ducklings need.

My duckling has not shown any improvement.. I feel so bad for him that if I did more research on owning ducks that this would have not happened. TSC should give customers buying ducks a quick overview. Maybe tell customers that chick food does not have enough niacin in it and/or sell brewers yeast. My other 3 ducks are doing great.

But I will not give up on my duck..My husband is going to make him a duck cart. Dapper will have a great life.. No matter if the legs work or not.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom