Ducklings with Chicks?

addie08

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 26, 2012
North Mississippi
Hi! In a few weeks I will be getting several ducklings. I was just wondering if when we brought them home, is it alright for them to be in a box with our baby chicks? (We have about 100) I have been doing some reading about how ducks need niacin in their food. Is it safe for the chicks to ingest that as well? We have also been putting an antibiotic in our chicks water. Is it okay for the ducks to ingest that? Or would it be best to keep the chicks and the ducklings seperated?

You may need to keep the ducklings separate for a while due to age and size difference if you have the chickens already. Also- ducklings can be very messy and keeping their brooder clean can be an issue- with 100 chicks as well Im sure that brooder takes a while to clean, but you will have to do it much more often with ducklings running around in there as well. Ducklings need water deep enough to duck their whole heads into, so if you can it might be better to plan to brood them separate from the chickens.

I have one cockerel that was raised with three ducks and a goose from day one, and he does not know he is a chicken. The only problem would be the chicks would get dirty. He was SO gross when I got him from the ducks getting their wet beaks in his feathers. He really gets along famously with them though.

I would keep them separate for at least 30 days just in case one happen to get sick. Then put them where they can see each other for a few days (weeks?) before introducing them to the chicks.

I would keep them seperate. If you are getting day old ducklings, your chicks at a few weeks will be much bigger. One thing to keep in mind is that chickens have sharp beaks and can and probably will peck at new unusual looking brooder mates. Ducklings will have no defense against chicken beaks.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Hubby and I have decided to keep them seperated for the time being. I have noticed that the roosters have been pecking each other and drawing blood! Not to mention they are all very active and can be somewhat aggressive with one another at times when playing. (I think they are trying to figure out who will rule the roost, so to speak). The chicks will soon be moved into an enclosure inside our chicken yard. They will be able to see the older hens and our rooster, but they won't have access to one another. (I'm hoping to introduce them gradually to keep down the fighting). That will free up their box, so the ducklings will be to themselves and have some peace maybe.

I just got 4 ducklings and the supply store we got them from said to keep them separate. Ducklings grow much faster than chicks and they will get trampled.

Back
Top Bottom