Ducks don't trust me.

jurrasiccluck

Chirping
Jan 18, 2017
I have a pair of male muskovy ducks that I got a few months back and as much as I try they don't seem to trust me. I give them treats every once in a while and when I try to feed them by hand they try to bite my hand off! They aren't trying to be mean and I don't retaliate but they do this because they try to get a quick bite and then run. I want to fix this.

Put the treat close by you and sit still let them come and get the treat off the ground then slowly work up to having them right by you, Once you get that accomplished try putting the treat in your hand laying on the ground flat so they only see the treat not fingers. It can take time but they will come around with patience. How old are your Muscovy's

Keep your hand flat, palm up. Tilt your hand so the palm is at about a 30 degree angle with the fingers toward the ground. This will give a better platform for them to grab the food.

Talk to them as much as you can in a soothing voice, not just when you feed them. Approach them slowly and smoothly at all times. Avoid making sudden movements and sounds, but do talk to them to let them know when you are approaching.

Try to get them on a schedule for getting treats and keep consistency in their routine.

Ok ill try. They really came far considering they came from a school I'm sure the kids harrased them there and they were kept in a screened shed with gravel instead of grass. So I'm sure they are aware that I'm not trying to harm them, and they made friends with the rooster. However another thing I want to address is that they don't seem to like pools of water. I know they like land more but even muscovys like to swim. Is it maybe because they were never raised near bodies of water?

Yes it is it takes time for them to acclimate to a new place and they will eventually warm up to water. Do you have a pool out for them? Poor things never being out on grass Sounds like you did a rescue actually. Do you have buckets of water sitting out for them mine will even bathe in the buckets instead of walking up the hill to their pool. :rolleyes:Splashing it all over themselves.
To be 6-7 yrs old means it will take patience and time but they'll come around.
I have 1 10 yr old Muscovy female and all the rest of my scovy's are 6-7 yrs. They do make great pets. What sex do you have?

Here's one taking a drink. We named him Pickle.
DSC_0004.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    501.7 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom