Ducks in winter...water in their coop..?

zekii

Songster
9 Years
Nov 1, 2010
New Hampsha
We live in an area of the country where winters can get cold/freezing weather for
weeks at a time. This will be our first winter housing over ducks. Looking to find out
what others do with providing duck water in winter...in their coop or outside the coop?
Do you heat the water, do you offer a large pool of water for them to swim or just enough for them to drink?

frow.gif

We live in an area of the country where winters can get cold/freezing weather for
weeks at a time. This will be our first winter housing over ducks. Looking to find out
what others do with providing duck water in winter...in their coop or outside the coop?
Do you heat the water, do you offer a large pool of water for them to swim or just enough for them to drink?

frow.gif
If you can go to TSC they have heated water buckets, and they are on a thermostat so only come on when temps get below 32* I don't put them inside the coops though, coops here are for sleeping. I can usually keep the pool going till sometime in Nov. . then I just dump it and give them a cement mixing bowl to wash in on days it's above freezing.

If you have a spring you can run the water into a bucket or tub inside the house and let it flow back out through an overflow. This has worked for me in the Catskill Mountain region of NY.

We're in Maine and this past Winter was our first with ducks. We didn't keep their pool filled during the Winter. We used a heated water bowl from TSC and ran a long, outdoor-safe extension cord from the house. If it hit 30-35 degrees, it turned on automatically and kept the water thawed. And the water stays out in the pen... water in a duck house would be tooo messy.
big_smile.png

Edited to add: If you can't get electricity to your pen, I can only think that you'd have to make sure you refill water bowls at least twice daily (especially when they have food). That's what we did before we got our heated water bowl.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom