Ducks water area dry!

SheMovesMtns

Chirping
Jun 18, 2015
Hello,

I have a little shed for the ducks that is 6ft x 3ft x 4ft tall.

What do you do to keep the inside dry in the winter. They will need to drink water but I don't want them to get all of their bedding soaked and freeze.

Otherwise, just keep the waterer outside the shed? or is there a way to keep it inside and keep their bedding dry...

Hello,

I have a little shed for the ducks that is 6ft x 3ft x 4ft tall.

What do you do to keep the inside dry in the winter. They will need to drink water but I don't want them to get all of their bedding soaked and freeze.

Otherwise, just keep the waterer outside the shed? or is there a way to keep it inside and keep their bedding dry...
Welcome to BYC!

Oh the water dilemma which we all have faced lol.. one way it to put the water container on a pan with a grid so the water falls into the pan but in winter it will freeze.

I found the best solution is not putting food or water inside at all, I use heated buckets TSC they run on a thermostat so they won't come on if temps are over 35* and no mess in the house and no hauling water and breaking ice through the winter.

Yes - we have a watering station. Except for the several inches just outside it (the doorway, that gets picked up daily), the rest of the bedding stays dry aside from where they poop.

Here it is

This one is for the Buffs, it is a high-sided cat litter box

This is for the Runners and Romy, a flock of ten. It is the bottom half of a large plastic dog crate. Bottom filled with compressed sawdust pellets to absorb splash. Inside is a two gallon stew pot - very stable - the Runners even bathe in it in the winter sometimes.

Daily maintenance is to scrape the top inch off the sawdust, and pull very damp sawdust from right around the pot, and then replace as needed.

clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom