Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Her: But if you keep 10, that's still 120 eggs a day!
Me: Huh?
Her, explaining patiently to me as if I were 5 years old: Well, a dozen a day from each hen, that's 120 eggs a day!

Oh, my....sometimes I'm left speechless!

LOL! Your poor hens must be exhausted!

That would give a production battery hen a shelf life of -- what -- 30 days?

I'm perfectly calm about spiders, bit I must confess am terrified of wasps. I can't explain why. I've done so much research on them to try to dissipate my fear, but it hasn't worked yet. I'm not allergic as far as I know.

Mankind disgusts me sometimes...
sad.png

Actually, it isn't always about us, mankind. Sometimes it is about microbes and other things.

http://theconversation.com/why-did-the-tasmanian-tiger-go-extinct-11324
The government bounty may seem to be the obvious extinction culprit. But growing scientific evidence reveals a complex tapestry of forces involved in their decline. Among these are competition with dogs, habitat loss and changing fire regimes leading to population fragmentation, and an epidemic disease that spread through the population in the 1920s.

According to Wikipedia:
The thylacine is likely to have become near-extinct in mainland Australia about 2,000 years ago, and possibly earlier in New Guinea.[58][59] The absolute extinction is attributed to competition from indigenous humans and invasive dingoes. However, doubts exist over the impact of the dingo since the two species would not have been in direct competition with one another as the dingo hunts primarily during the day, whereas it is thought that the thylacine hunted mostly at night. In addition, the thylacine had a more powerful build, which would have given it an advantage in one-on-one encounters.[60] Recent morphological examinations of dingo and thylacine skulls show that although the dingo had a weaker bite, its skull could resist greater stresses, allowing it to pull down larger prey than the thylacine could. The thylacine was also much less versatile in diet than the omnivorous dingo.[61] Their environments clearly overlapped: thylacine subfossil remains have been discovered in proximity to those of dingoes. The adoption of the dingo as a hunting companion by the indigenous peoples would have put the thylacine under increased pressure.[14]
Prideaux et al. (2010) examined the issue of extinction in the late Quaternary period in southwestern Australia. This paper notes that Australia lost 90% or more of its larger terrestrial vertebrates during this time, with the notable exceptions of the kangaroo and the thylacine. The results show that the humans were obviously one of the major factors in the extinction of many species in Australia. But in reality, it was not until the humans had an adverse effect on the environment and brought disease to Australia that their arrival drove the Thylacine to extinction.[62]
Menzies et al. (2012) examined the relationship of the genetic diversity of the thylacines before their extinction. The results of their investigation indicated that the last of the thylacines in Australia, on top of the threats from dingoes, had limited genetic diversity, due to their complete geographic isolation from mainland Australia.[63]
Johnson and Wroe (2003) observed the relationship between the dingo and the extinctions of the Tasmanian devil, the Thylacine, and the Tasmanian native hen and the arrival of humans. The paper observed the obviously competitive relationship between the dingo and the thylacine and the Tasmanian devil, and noted that the dingo may have actually fed on the native hen. Yet, the paper concludes, people ignore the emergence of humans on the continent among all of this. In the end, the competitiveness of the dingo and Thylacine populations led to the extinctions of the Thylacine but the arrival of the humans only further exacerbated this.[64]
Another study brings disease into the debate as a major factor in thylacine's extinction: "Casually collected anecdotal records and early boutity analyses have, at times, prompted the suggestion that disease was a major factor in the extinction of the species, that occurred when the last known specimen died in Hobart Zoo during the night of 7th September, 1936."[65] This study also suggests that were it not for an epidemiological influence, the extinction of thylacine would have been at best prevented, at worst postponed. "The chance of saving the species, through changing public opinion, and the re-establishment of captive breeding, could have been possible. But the marsupi-carnivore disease, with its dramatic effect on individual thylacine longevity and juvenile mortality, came far too soon, and spread far too quickly."[65]

Two angry alpha predators (a dog and a human) had it cornered. Why wouldn't it try to bluff to save itself? they will rattle their tails rapidly against debris to try to get you to back off. Just curious, why kill it if he knew it was harmless?

Yeah, I kind of wondered about that. We have a very purposeful bull snake that used to hang out around our house I loved to watch it glide along, checking every rodent hole that went under our sidewalk or porch.

(I'm afraid that our neighbor's free range dog may have killed it. It was sad when another neighbor finally shot Butch, but what can you do when it kills your chickens, chases your horses, and the only response the dog owner gives those who are trying to talk about them is that you probably don't want to keep horses, chickens, or other stocks because "sometimes Butch gets loose." He'd killed enough chickens and run enough calves that they were actually very patient about the matter, in my opinion.)

I'm perfectly calm about spiders, bit I must confess am terrified of wasps. I can't explain why. I've done so much research on them to try to dissipate my fear, but it hasn't worked yet. I'm not allergic as far as I know.

I thought I was perfectly calm about spiders until the day I was visiting at my father's house, took a shower, and found my brother's female tarantula, Tarantella on the shower wall.

Apparently, when she escaped her terrarium she had a habit of making a bee line for the shower stall.

Last edited:
A friend of mine swore she had been bitten by a spider while she was sleeping. She said "it bit then walked and bit again. Must have bit me about six times. "
I said "show me the bites "
Looked and told her "That's not spider bites, that's shingles! "
She wouldn't believe me, went to the doctor and yep, shingles!

Actually, it isn't always about us, mankind. Sometimes it is about microbes and other things.

http://theconversation.com/why-did-the-tasmanian-tiger-go-extinct-11324
The government bounty may seem to be the obvious extinction culprit. But growing scientific evidence reveals a complex tapestry of forces involved in their decline. Among these are competition with dogs, habitat loss and changing fire regimes leading to population fragmentation, and an epidemic disease that spread through the population in the 1920s.

According to Wikipedia:
The thylacine is likely to have become near-extinct in mainland Australia about 2,000 years ago, and possibly earlier in New Guinea.[SUP][COLOR=0066CC][58][/COLOR][/SUP][SUP][COLOR=0066CC][59][/COLOR][/SUP] The absolute extinction is attributed to competition from indigenous humans and [COLOR=0066CC]invasive[/COLOR] dingoes. However, doubts exist over the impact of the dingo since the two species would not have been in direct competition with one another as the dingo [COLOR=0066CC]hunts primarily during the day[/COLOR], whereas it is thought that the thylacine [COLOR=0066CC]hunted mostly at night[/COLOR]. In addition, the thylacine had a more powerful build, which would have given it an advantage in one-on-one encounters.[SUP][COLOR=0066CC][60][/COLOR][/SUP] Recent morphological examinations of dingo and thylacine skulls show that although the dingo had a weaker bite, its skull could resist greater stresses, allowing it to pull down larger prey than the thylacine could. The thylacine was also much less versatile in diet than the omnivorous [COLOR=0066CC]dingo[/COLOR].[SUP][COLOR=0066CC][61][/COLOR][/SUP] Their environments clearly overlapped: thylacine [COLOR=0066CC]subfossil[/COLOR] remains have been discovered in proximity to those of dingoes. The adoption of the dingo as a hunting companion by the indigenous peoples would have put the thylacine under increased pressure.[SUP][COLOR=0066CC][14][/COLOR][/SUP]
Prideaux et al. (2010) examined the issue of extinction in the late Quaternary period in southwestern Australia. This paper notes that Australia lost 90% or more of its larger terrestrial vertebrates during this time, with the notable exceptions of the kangaroo and the thylacine. The results show that the humans were obviously one of the major factors in the extinction of many species in Australia. But in reality, it was not until the humans had an adverse effect on the environment and brought disease to Australia that their arrival drove the Thylacine to extinction.[SUP][COLOR=0066CC][62][/COLOR][/SUP]
Menzies et al. (2012) examined the relationship of the genetic diversity of the thylacines before their extinction. The results of their investigation indicated that the last of the thylacines in Australia, on top of the threats from dingoes, had limited genetic diversity, due to their complete geographic isolation from mainland Australia.[SUP][COLOR=0066CC][63][/COLOR][/SUP]
Johnson and Wroe (2003) observed the relationship between the dingo and the extinctions of the Tasmanian devil, the Thylacine, and the Tasmanian native hen and the arrival of humans. The paper observed the obviously competitive relationship between the dingo and the thylacine and the Tasmanian devil, and noted that the dingo may have actually fed on the native hen. Yet, the paper concludes, people ignore the emergence of humans on the continent among all of this. In the end, the competitiveness of the dingo and Thylacine populations led to the extinctions of the Thylacine but the arrival of the humans only further exacerbated this.[SUP][COLOR=0066CC][64][/COLOR][/SUP]
Another study brings disease into the debate as a major factor in thylacine's extinction: "Casually collected anecdotal records and early boutity analyses have, at times, prompted the suggestion that disease was a major factor in the extinction of the species, that occurred when the last known specimen died in Hobart Zoo during the night of 7th September, 1936."[SUP][COLOR=0066CC][65][/COLOR][/SUP] This study also suggests that were it not for an epidemiological influence, the extinction of thylacine would have been at best prevented, at worst postponed. "The chance of saving the species, through changing public opinion, and the re-establishment of captive breeding, could have been possible. But the marsupi-carnivore disease, with its dramatic effect on individual thylacine longevity and juvenile mortality, came far too soon, and spread far too quickly."[SUP][COLOR=0066CC][65][/COLOR][/SUP]
I wonder where how those things were introduced?

Back then, people weren't as aware of the far reaching consequences of their actions. Now we know, and an example of putting our knowledge into practice is seen in the jungles of South America with the still uncontested tribes people, who unfortunately are being forced out of their safe havens by illegal loggers and drug/human traffickers.

Last edited:
We got pullets this spring, three of them, all different breeds. Our leghorn started laying eggs a few days ago (so excited, but I'm doing my best to wait until there's enough eggs for all of us to eat). Today when I was giving the girls a treat (sweet grain we have for the goat), and picking them up for a cuddle, my son told me to be careful with Buttercup because he didn't want me to crack her eggs.

We got pullets this spring, three of them, all different breeds. Our leghorn started laying eggs a few days ago (so excited, but I'm doing my best to wait until there's enough eggs for all of us to eat). Today when I was giving the girls a treat (sweet grain we have for the goat), and picking them up for a cuddle, my son told me to be careful with Buttercup because he didn't want me to crack her eggs.
yuckyuck.gif

I haven't had one of these to add in a long, long time! But I just got one this morning. <sigh>

Her: How many chickens do you have?
Me: We're down to 19 now - we processed 3 roosters so all we have left is the 19 girls. (Here I waited for the usual "But how can you get eggs without a rooster" comment. Didn't come!)
Her: What in the he!! are you going to do with all those eggs? That's way too many!
Me: It is a lot, but we plan on culling some of the other chickens until we're down to 8 or 10. We feed some back to the chickens, our son's and daughter's families will get some too, plus what we'll use here. That should work fine.
Her: But if you keep 10, that's still 120 eggs a day!
Me: Huh?
Her, explaining patiently to me as if I were 5 years old: Well, a dozen a day from each hen, that's 120 eggs a day!

Oh, my....sometimes I'm left speechless!

But .... that's why they put them in those cartons that hold 12 eggs, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom