Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
We sell ours for €2.50 a half dozen ($3.47) and €5 a dozen ($6,91)

Quote: How about some other comparison to put this in perspective......how much is a gallon of whole milk, how much is a dozen eggs at the store where you live irishhenman? Are your eggs 'organic'?

I only have 3 regular customers for my eggs. When I get a stock pile of them I just make the deliveries more obvious. As soon as someone sees me delivering eggs, they want some. Maybe not once a week like my regulars, but it helps clear out the eggs.

Oh, I sell for $3 a dozen & no one ever acts like its too much. Cage free at the grocery store is just about the same. So they know they're getting freshness.

I guess I'm better off than I thought. I have 2-3 regular customers who pay me $4 per dozen. Of course, they know my girls only get organic feed in addition to their foraging and they are exceptionally well cared for. My customers would rather go without eggs, than eat those from the grocery, and I don't always have enough to go around. Plus, every time someone sees me deliver them to the lady at the plant store, they ask if I have any more, and now my neighbors are offering to buy them. Demand is definitely greater than supply, even at this price. But, that's how I got into having chickens in the first place; I wanted only the *real thing* and they were often hard to come by.

For those of you with a fridge full of eggs, have your kids take them to school. I bet some of the teachers will be delighted to have "home grown". Or, set up a card table like the Girl Scouts do at cookie time. Or, put a sign in your driveway. No way I'd let 20 dozen eggs waste away in my fridge.

Last edited:
How about some other comparison to put this in perspective......how much is a gallon of whole milk, how much is a dozen eggs at the store where you live irishhenman? Are your eggs 'organic'?

Ok so, we don't buy milk by the gallon. It is sold by the litre (0.26 of a gallon). The branded stuff is around €1.25 ($ 1.73) for a litre in a cardboard carton, supermarket own brand milk (comes for the same factory) is around 75c ($ 1.04) a litre in a cardboard carton. 2 litres (0.52 of a us gallon) in a plastic carton is €1.90 ($ 2.63) for branded €1.50 ( $1.45) for own brand. Eggs can vary a lot from around €1 ($1.38) a half dozen in supermarkets to €3 ($ 4.15) a half dozen for the "free range, organic" eggs in health food shops but those are way over priced to take advantage of people. No my eggs aren't organic or free range but they have big grass runs and happy lives. Also keep in mind all of the eggs from our purebred stock that we don't hatch ourselves are sold as hatching eggs at €1.50 an egg and the eggs we sell at that price are from the laying houses.

Last edited:
I guess I'm better off than I thought. I have 2-3 regular customers who pay me $4 per dozen. Of course, they know my girls only get organic feed in addition to their foraging and they are exceptionally well cared for. My customers would rather go without eggs, than eat those from the grocery, and I don't always have enough to go around. Plus, every time someone sees me deliver them to the lady at the plant store, they ask if I have any more, and now my neighbors are offering to buy them. Demand is definitely greater than supply, even at this price. But, that's how I got into having chickens in the first place; I wanted only the *real thing* and they were often hard to come by.

For those of you with a fridge full of eggs, have your kids take them to school. I bet some of the teachers will be delighted to have "home grown". Or, set up a card table like the Girl Scouts do at cookie time. Or, put a sign in your driveway. No way I'd let 20 dozen eggs waste away in my fridge.

We homeschool. ..so technically my kids already have taken the eggs to school. Lol. I can't really move them at work because I live and work at a vegan institution! There are two other egg sellers on our country road, including my neighbor's brother (she buys from me though lol). I have a sign.

We live in an economically depressed area where organic/free range/etc is not really valued. In general I have found over the last four years that those willing and able to pay $3 plus a dozen think that backyard eggs are nasty (but not the grocery store version). Those that like backyard eggs are unable to pay $3 plus. I can move more eggs at $2.50 then $3.

We market heavily using person to person marketing. When picking up chicks at the post office yesterday I passed out business cards. I give out free half dozens to hesitant customers. The egg business is really my 12 year old son's. Money raised goes to camp. He started a loyalty program with some occasional customers that if they buy five dozen in a calendar month the sixth is free. Now instead of them buying one or two dozen a month they are buy five.

Never fear. The eggs won't "go to waste." Work has been crazy and I haven't had time to take him to town to sell.

Last edited:
Quote: Thanks for all the conversions. That sounds about like here, $4-5 for a gallon of milk...and I've seen "free range, organic" eggs in health food stored $6-8.

Bottom line is, your eggs are worth whatever people want to pay for them and that can vary widely depending on the local markets.

I sell mine for $3.50 because that's what another local egg seller gets. Other people sell them for less. I figure start higher, you can always reduce price or have a sale.
My customers are friends and acquaintances, they don't mind the price for homegrown and they are supporting my endeavor.

Another way to get rid of them is: Freeze them (for when the egg numbers die down), pickle them, eat them in every meal, devil them, bake alot of cakes the use alot of eggs.

The idea of slaughtering non laying chickens has caused a lot of controversy around here lately. People in my town seem to think that chickens are just pets. I agree that they can be very sweet and loving critters. But when you're limited to just 6, you can't afford to have 6 non laying chickens. What are my other options? "Setting them free" in the woods? People freak out because I kill and eat my rabbits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom