Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
it kind of the same here. i was the laughing stock of the neighborhood for wanting "farm animals" and of the bigger commercial livestock owners for wanting so few and treating them like pets
idunno.gif

That reminds me of something my neighbor said. Well it wasn't actually a neighbor but someone my neighbor temporarily rented a house to for 6 months. She asked how many chickens i had and when i told her 22 she exclaimed "that's a lot of pets!!". I replied "they aren't pets i use them for food" and a look of sheer horror came across her face. It was amusing to see someone make the connection between her kfc meal and the animal it came from for the first time.

Some friends relocated to our city (Lviv, Ukraine) yesterday and we all went out for dinner last night.

Afterward we were talking about my plan for the homestead, when my wife and I go to Maine this Summer/Fall and I said we'd have chickens for eggs and meat.

His wife: You are going to kill them with your own hands?
Me: Its easier to eat them when they're dead.

She tried, unsuccessfully not to laugh. She later told my wife she thinks its terrible to kill them. I decided not to mention the goat bucklings would also go to "freezer camp". sigh

Some friends relocated to our city (Lviv, Ukraine) yesterday and we all went out for dinner last night.

Afterward we were talking about my plan for the homestead, when my wife and I go to Maine this Summer/Fall and I said we'd have chickens for eggs and meat.

His wife:  You are going to kill them with your own hands?
Me:  Its easier to eat them when they're dead.

She tried, unsuccessfully not to laugh.  She later told my wife she thinks its terrible to kill them.  I decided not to mention the goat bucklings would also go to "freezer camp".  sigh

LOL Excellent comeback! :)

Some people do it for health reasons. I know someone who is allergic to eggs and milk.
Allergies are another thing, I just find it difficult to understand the personal choice to not eat animal products. Of course you shouldn't eat things your body can't handle. But now we're getting sidetracked again, I tend to have that effect on discussions. I was just trying to be a bit funny. Quick, someone chime in with something related to the topic of the thread!

His wife:  You are going to kill them with your own hands?
Me:  Its easier to eat them when they're dead.

She tried, unsuccessfully not to laugh.  She later told my wife she thinks its terrible to kill them.  I decided not to mention the goat bucklings would also go to "freezer camp".  sigh

that reminds me of a something that happened to me. In November 2012 I wrote a book about keeping chickens and sold it and as a result b had lots of people calling asking for advice on hens? one woman had intended to get broilers for meatand rang me to ask how to fatten them up. I explained the feeding regime and the general care of the birds to her. I then asked her how she planned on culling the birds and did she know how to gut and pluck them. She was horrified that I would even suggest killing them and was asking why on earth would she kill them if she only wanted them for meat. It turned out she thought chickens produced meat like they lay eggs and that they would continue to give meat all the time. That was a real shocker for me as to how someone could even think up something like that.

As for veganism, I know lots of vegans who live the way they do because they know how commercial food production works. They know how battery hens are treated, that all male layer chicks are killed at day old and that most of the time male dairy calves are shot because there is no use for them and not enough demand for veil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom