Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
At work today I mentioned that the rooster that flogged me last night was going to freezer camp this Saturday. One of the ladies at the table (eating fried chicken) said, "you are going to butcher him and then eat him????? Poor rooster! "

I said, "the chicken you are eating used to be alive and someone killed him so you could eat him".

Well! That's different. This chicken was raised to be killed and eaten.

I rest my case........
I love how it always comes down to us being monsters because we give the chickens a good life first. Won't we ever learn how much more ethical and delicious it is to let them suffer before death?
idunno.gif

I had a conversation with a guy at work this morning that's impossible to duplicate, but his logic is that he is morally pure by eating chicken that comes from the store because it's already in a package that doesn't look like an animal, which means he doesn't have to think about where it came from. I, on the other hand, am a mean person because I take one of my happy, free-range chickens and purposely kill that chicken.
I told him that the chickens he eats live short but tortured lives in factory farms, but he feels that he has no guilt as long as he doesn't have to think about it. That pretty well sums up much of the stupidity in our world today.
Same logic, really. Letting them live healthy and content is so much worse than abject misery before being butchered, you monster. It not being wrong if you don't think about it makes about as much sense as hiding under the blankets so the boogey man can't get you.

Apparently it's more cruel to give an animal a good life before butchering it, than have it in a tiny cage given poor food and mistreated its life then cruelly killing it.

Perhaps they're looking at it as "How can you kill something you cared for?" vs. the "Cage Number A216-Level6's time is up" factory mentality. You cared for it...That means something (like you made it a pet). Whereas those who deal hands-on with their food and stock know that quality life = quality foodstuff and being good shepherds for our charges benefits all involved. I'm sure the naysayers if they tasted real honest-to-goodness flavorful homegrown chicken vs. the pasty mealy store-bought birds would probably become meat snobs if given the chance. Kind of like after having a steady supply of fresh eggs you sort of wrinkle your nose when you have to buy store eggs due to moult or something. Yeah, you become an egg snob. Okay...with meat they don't call you a "meat snob." You just become a foodie.

wink.png

Apparently it's more cruel to give an animal a good life before butchering it, than have it in a tiny cage given poor food and mistreated its life then cruelly killing it.

This is written in sarcastic font;
Of course. That way the animals don't know to expect any different.

" it's better to have loved and lost than never be loved at all" comes into play here I think. It's better to have loved a chicken and given it quality food and it be treated well, then eat it, than to let a chicken go its life terrified and maltreated, then eat it. If your going to have chickens for meat at least treat them properly before they go into the stewpot.

" it's better to have loved and lost than never be loved at all" comes into play here I think. It's better to have loved a chicken and given it quality food and it be treated well, then eat it, than to let a chicken go its life terrified and maltreated, then eat it. If your going to have chickens for meat at least treat them properly before they go into the stewpot.

Phew- now I can turn my sarcastic font off!
Good treatment definitely helps the chicken, turkey, etc as well as helping the psyche of the humans who are working with animals.

Milgram's experiment in the ... 50's? 60's? as well as the Stanford experiment show how humans will treat humans if they think poor treatment is acceptable or ordered by someone in charge. They will do the same with animals. The original videos are chilling. It's one thing to read about the experiments, it's another to watch long versions of the videos.

https://archive.org/details/MilgramExperimentObedience

https://archive.org/details/QuietRageTheStanfordPrisonExperiment

Peep_show you have greyhounds? I have 2 greyhounds too!! One is very sweet the other is very smart. If the sweet one is being bad, his brother comes and tells on him. So they don't both get punished. They cry if they can't lay on the leather sofa in front of the air conditioner. The smart one can little speak and big speak. The sweet one is afraid of the hardwood floors and loves catching squirrels and has gotten one of my chicks (out of 40 isn't bad). They're getting old but have a lot of puppy left in them. :) they are my furry babies.

Our greyhound, Tibbs, is afraid of floors, too. He was rescued** as a barely eyes opened pup and bottle fed, so at times he has the I'm-a-dog disconnect going. Yeah, he feels VERY entitled (this is the peril of bottle-raising anything). He's very vocal...loves to sing and when boarded often leads the kennel in the 3 o'clock sing-alongs (which the kennel keepers prefer over barking for their boarders) and has all different kinds of barks. He was a VERY hyper puppy and our backyard in Las Vegas, NV, had an oval track around the perimeter he created where he worked off his zoomies. Now at 7+ he's a mellow sweetheart, but as a puppy a bit much to handle and my St. Bernard cross deserves massive kudos (and biskies) for raising him.

As a puppy we would get stopped often as most folks have never seen a very young greyhound. He's a brindle and in the summer his coat goes almost orange, making him look very tiger-ish. DH would like another, but I've set our household limit to 2 dogs at a time. As is we've got over 200 lbs of dogs to manage. Yeppers, love them greyhounds!

**at the Caliente Racetrack mama dog jumped into the boy pen and so puppies unregisterable as parentage unverifiable. Kennel assistant called in eight puppies to be rescued as the owner was going to destroy them. The rescue group arrived to only six puppies, two of which were stomped (Tibbs being one, he has a deformed elbow and is technically a 3-legged dog...but still the fastest thing at the dog park; his brother Elvis lost a limb). We're still in touch with all the siblings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom