Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Blooie!

Whatever happened to that little chick?   Was the frostbite a big issue?

He's doing great! He's living outside with the big girls now. His feet ended up deformed, but you'd never know it to watch him running around out there, getting up and down off the roost, and growing, growing GROWING! His complete story is in the link in my signature and there's also a video link there. Thanks for asking about him...... But I think I need to remember to say "she".

I think my biggest pet peeve in this department is "meat-is-murder" vegetarians who eat eggs and dairy products but think it's barbaric to slaughter animals and eat their flesh. I have no problem with vegetarianism if you think that's a healthier diet, but don't come at me with the ridiculous idea that eating meat is unethical, if you routinely eat eggs and cheese.

People whose only familiarity with food products comes from the grocery store shelf have no idea of the simple math that drives milk and egg production. Every vegetarian I've ever talked to thinks that cows are like magical milk factories--they have no idea that to keep a cow producing milk (unless you jack them up on hormones) they have to give birth to a calf every year. And half of those calves will be bullocks.

Same thing with chickens. To get more chickens, you have to hatch eggs--and half of those will be cockerels.

Those bullocks and cockerels have to be disposed of somehow. And news flash: they don't retire to the country so they can roam free.

/soapbox

Last edited:
OMG, I was telling a lady at work the other day that I'll be getting chickens this summer and plan to have lots and lots of eggs.  I told her I'd bring some in for her so that she can taste how much better they are.

Know what she said?

Her: "Oh my GAWD, eeeeeewwwwww, I could never eat those eggs!"

Me: "Ummmm, why not?

Her: "Well, BECAUSE, they came out of a chicken's butt!"

Me: "Ummmmm.  Huh?  You eat eggs from the store, right?"

Her: "Well, yeah, of COURSE, but that's different!"

Me: "How is that different?  Those eggs also came out of a chicken."

Her: "But those are all sanitary and come in a box."

Me: "I'll wash my eggs and box them for you too."

Her: "Blech, no way.  I could never eat eggs from your chickens.  That's just gross."

Me: "***?"

[Erica walks away shaking head]

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!

LOL, this is just too much.  No wonder I want to quit my job and become a pioneer woman and never have to leave the house...

Oh my gosh lol!!! Wow. Our eggs taste way better than the store!

it is for us at least. We use about 2 dozen eggs a week and the brand we bought at the store ran about $6 a dozen so in a year we would use about $576 ish worth of eggs I buy two bags of feed every two months which runs me about $12 a bag $16 in the summer. In a year chickens cost us about $144-$220 ish (because when a chicken gets hurt they go to meet Jesus:rolleyes: ) true the coop cost about $300 to put together with all the wire and wood etc but that is a one time thing and I can get about 3 good laying years out of each hen and they can take care of the replenishment of the flock on their own so all in all its a good gig if you can get it. :pop    
Especially true when you refuse to buy cage eggs, buying free range can get quite expensive. Not to mention the sheer joy that I get from my chickens and ducks. Well worth any expenses incurred by the dozen or so of them

I made a decision from the get-go that I was not going to look at keeping my chickens as a P&L venture, any more than I do with my dogs or anything else I do for pleasure. I love the quality of home-grown eggs, but I'm sure if I sat down and did the math I would find out they might as well be made of plutonium.

The big distinction for me is what winteree made reference to: what happens to chickens who get hurt?

When I kept a flock as part of a self-sufficient lifestyle, I culled ruthlessly and without sentimentality. (It didn't hurt that my grandmother called her freezer "chicken heaven."
roll.png
) Hens who were injured, who developed a vice like feather-picking, or who simply were past their laying prime went into the pot. Chickens who got sick were disposed of.

I'm fortunate that I'm at a place in my life that I can keep chickens as pets. I'm not saying they'd get chemotherapy or a kidney transplant, but yeah, they'd go to the vet if they got sick. There's always a financial top-stop for that with any pet, but as I've gotten older and better paid and my kids are grown, that line has moved upwards. A few years ago one of my greyhounds got into a nest of copperheads, and when it was all over, we were out about $3K. We had to postpone some house repairs but, as my husband said, what are you going to do?

My birds are pets. Pets who lay yummy, antibiotic-free eggs.

Quote:
There was a song in the 80's (country genre) had only a couple of lines I liked, hated the rest of the song but it went something like this m"there ain't no fool like a fool grown full, you can talk talk till your face turns blue but there is no getting thru to a full grown fool" I think that applies here....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom