dumped a bunch of leaves in the run

My flock free ranges through my yard, part of which is forested. The forested areas have thick coverings of leaves on the ground and they spend hours and hours digging through them for bugs. They also like to nestle down in the leaves on hot days to keep cool. It also makes it easy to find them since chickens scratching or walking through the leaves makes more noise than a herd of elephants.

Quote:
And all this time I thought it was the chicken owners that are easy to amuse
big_smile.png

Takes one to know one, doesn't it.
cool.png

Quote:
And all this time I thought it was the chicken owners that are easy to amuse
big_smile.png

Takes one to know one, doesn't it.
cool.png

yes it does
wink.png

Anytime I trim a branch from one of my fruit trees, that still have leaves on it, I throw it into the run. My girls are thrilled to get the leaves and the next day I remove the now cleaned sticks. When the wind blows and leaves fall from the trees you ought to see my girls running around trying to catch them before they hit the ground.
smile.png

Bills, my run is one huge compost pile! I just throw in a pile a leaves every other day or so, more chip, weeds, etc...I'm not really sure where the poo goes, but I never see it! The messier it is, the more they seem to like it....

I rake the leaves in the run into a pile when its dry . Throw some scratch on the pile. As im walking a way I'll notice the leaves being tossed into the air. My ladies seem to really enjoy it. Im thinking of building a gym or rost in the outside run for them . Not sure if thats a good idea or not? Thanks Scotty

Update. That cabbage I staked out disappeared in under an hour! I am going to hang it on a small poly-rope from now on. With it swinging around they will not be able to devour it so quickly. Will be tossing in some strawberry leaves soon. Will do that daily until frost kills them. Not a favorite, but they are eaten nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom